Might Be A Stupid Question But Was Curious

kadz

Reaction score
hey i was just wondering if marine fishes can be mixed with tropical fishes in a tropical tank ,for instant clown percula fishes with tropical fishes is it posible ??
sorry if it too dumb of a question lol

marine fish NEED salt in thier tank tropical fresh water do not have salt in their tank

SIMPLE

they add salt (when they really shouldnt) in VERY low quantities (around 1.003 SG).

Us saltwater hobbiest normally have our SG (an indirect way of testing salinity) at 1.025.

Think of the wild, there isnt salt in the amazon river, and there is in the great barrier reef.

salt in tropical is usuaully to help with gills and stuff liek that more health benefactors, also some fish like mollys like some salt else they shimmer.

salt in tropical is usuaully to help with gills and stuff liek that more health benefactors, also some fish like mollys like some salt else they shimmer.

well not exactly true, there are short term health benefits like better slime coat, kills off some diseases in the water, but the long term effects can be really bad.

They talk about it in the scientific section, freshwater fish keep the water inside their body a higher salinity than the water around them, this keeps cell walls or something stable (im not 100% sure if this is word by word true, but i'll try). Once the salinity reaches the same level as inside the fish or above, osmotic shock kicks in and can cause some serious internal damgae to the fish which may lead to death.

Oh and mollies are brackish fish.

mollies are brackish but commonly sold as tropical.

and as for the aqauarium freshwater salt it is sold as gill benefits and health benefits, yet i didnt say it was correct.

hey i was just wondering if marine fishes can be mixed with tropical fishes in a tropical tank ,for instant clown percula fishes with tropical fishes is it posible ??
sorry if it too dumb of a question lol
No, but there are certain tropical "freshwater" fishes that can be introduced to full salt conditions. Mollies, some puffers, Bullrout, a few cichlids, and various other fish are the best bet. But do not attempt it until you are sure they can survive in full salt. This would mean gathering information from every source possible, such as fishbase, aquahobby, and wetwebmedia.

Hey Lynden, I'm curious, what specific cichlids would you be talking about? :)

Chromides, and a few species of Nandopsis and Tilapia, plus several others; nothing really common in the trade. Since cichlids are descended from sea living fishes, many of the less specialized have retained the ability to tolerate at least some salt. However, I do not under any circumstances recommend trying to acclimatize the fish, unless one is 100% sure about the fish's tolerances; in case that point wasn't already assumed. :)

Most reactions

Back