Me again

Chunky's mom

Reaction score
So thank you all. My chunky ate 2 pieces today. I bought one of those floating rings for food. Do they really help? I would love to try live plants. I spoke to my daughter she gave the ok. ( it's a big long story) I have to keep a low budget. And they need to be easy care. As I mentioned I am handicapped and have problems at times just getting up. Would sand or pebbles be better? Which type of plant can I get online that would be easy to care for and do you have websites? I rarely go out. Chunky is still coming to the top and blows a bubble or two when he sees me. So I am assuming he is happy. He is my emotional support friend. I want to make his home happy. So thank you for the help. I figure I can slowly build up the tank and when I do find a new home. I can do better if needed. So I guess.
What should I start with first? He has a new heater. He seems to love the fake flowing plants. He lays in them I also have a log on the bottom he swims through or rest. I have the filter of course and just got a stone bubbler a few days before getting him. Like I said I just got this plastic leaf rug for the bottom. What should I work on first. If you had a small budget and needed the easiest upkeep. What would you do first? And how online

Thank you

Your betta sounds really cared for and slightly spoiled, nice and always happy to hear from folks who want to do right by their fishy friends by asking questions and researching.

I have no idea about the floating ring for food if whether they are any good or not, have never tried them to be entirely honest. Sorry.

But I can however help you out a little regarding the plants.
Easy to care for plant, immediate thought is anubia plants, there are a variety of them so you will have a choice and the betta definitely would appreciate having live plants in the tank especially large leaves to rest on as well.

There are a number of online retailers that will sell those, am sorry but I am unsure where you are based, but if you go by Tropica website as I think they ship worldwide so that is a pretty safe bet for good quality plants, a little more expensive than other sites but they are good quality and snail free etc.
(The anubias, if you decide go for those, most anubias do not need to be planted, can be tied or glued onto wood or decor btw.)

I do recommend Tropica as I have bought from there before and are very good.

You could also go for other types of plants such as java fern and small cyrptocorynes as these are easy to care for plants and these need to be planted into substrate, sand is ideal really.
(again can be bought from tropica if you wish to do so)

Those are my go to plants that are easy to care for and ideal for beginners to live plants.

I would suggest sand substrate rather than pebble as sand is easier to maintain as food and debris can slip between the pebbles and rot which could cause issues with water parameters, so best to be safe rather than sorry really.

So would get the sand substrate first and then the plant/s and take it from there.

plants such as java fern and small cyrptocorynes as these are easy to care for plants and these need to be planted into substrate
Just to be clear, crypts can be planted in the substrate, but java fern should be attached to decor. Like anubias species, java fern has a rhizome which rots if it's covered.

Play sand is cheap and works well. Live plant would be next on my list.

You can read this care sheet

I have extracted the part about plants:
'Betta fins are very delicate, and plastic plants can tear and shred their long fins. Only silk and live plants are appropriate for bettas. To test whether a fake plant is safe for the betta, dragging a piece of pantyhose over the surface can tell you if any parts are sharp or will catch fins. A file or sandpaper can be used to smooth any bumps or sharp parts on the plastic parts of silk plants.

Live plants are extremely beneficial. Not only do they look great and provide interest to the aquarium for you and your betta, they also help keep water parameters stable and reduce toxins in the water. Some great plants for the betta aquarium are Java moss (Vesicularia dubyana), Java fern (Microsorum pteropus) and Anubias nana. All three do well in the low-light, high temperature conditions of a betta tank. They do not like to be planted in substrate, and therefore can do quite well with the 100% water changes, and gently rinsed each time. They can be lightly anchored in the gravel, left to float, or tied to a piece of driftwood or rock with fishing line.'

Your betta sounds really cared for and slightly spoiled, nice and always happy to hear from folks who want to do right by their fishy friends by asking questions and researching.

I have no idea about the floating ring for food if whether they are any good or not, have never tried them to be entirely honest. Sorry.

But I can however help you out a little regarding the plants.
Easy to care for plant, immediate thought is anubia plants, there are a variety of them so you will have a choice and the betta definitely would appreciate having live plants in the tank especially large leaves to rest on as well.

There are a number of online retailers that will sell those, am sorry but I am unsure where you are based, but if you go by Tropica website as I think they ship worldwide so that is a pretty safe bet for good quality plants, a little more expensive than other sites but they are good quality and snail free etc.
(The anubias, if you decide go for those, most anubias do not need to be planted, can be tied or glued onto wood or decor btw.)

I do recommend Tropica as I have bought from there before and are very good.

You could also go for other types of plants such as java fern and small cyrptocorynes as these are easy to care for plants and these need to be planted into substrate, sand is ideal really.
(again can be bought from tropica if you wish to do so)

Those are my go to plants that are easy to care for and ideal for beginners to live plants.

I would suggest sand substrate rather than pebble as sand is easier to maintain as food and debris can slip between the pebbles and rot which could cause issues with water parameters, so best to be safe rather than sorry really.

So would get the sand substrate first and then the plant/s and take it from there.
Thank you so much

Most reactions

Back