Mbuna Tank

johnny70

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
We have bought a new tank for a small Mbuna setup, its a Aquaone AR620

Spec's are 62x52x39cm, 90ltr(approx), 2z18w lamps, 750ltr/hr powerhead with trickle filter with carbon, filter wool, sponge pad and ceramic noodles.

This gives us a theoretical stocking of 64cm/25" of fish and with overstocking around 127cm/50" of fish.

Now the internal filter will not be able to support a large number of fish. could I get away with a large internal, normally I would be happy with external but its going to be very difficult to get pipework into the tank at the back because of the rear filter and hood which are all the way along the back, i dont really want to make holes in the back or sides of the lid but I will if i have too, what do you think?

I have seen a TETRATEC INTERNAL FILTER 1000PLUS, which is for aquariums of upto 200ltr so should be big enough.???????????????

cheers
j

The tank is not big enough for mbuna really you need a 55g but you can get away with slightly smaller but a 90ltr isnt big enough you could look at some shell dwellers though.

If the tank is only 90 litres - It's not big enough for any Mbuna species IMO i'm afraid. Some may argue that half a dozen fish in a species only tank may be OK - stocking some of the small Mbuna like P.Saulosi or C.Afra but I personally would strongly disagree with that and say that the tank is way too small, regardless of the filtration used.

I always reccommend a 4 foot tank around 55 gallons or more as the appropriate size for a Mbuna tank - remember these fish are highly aggressive and require space to establish territories etc.

Sorry to burst the bubble but that tank would be much better suited to shell-dwellers from Lake Tanganyika, Kribensis or some of the small NW cichlids like Rams and Apistogramma.

Hmmm. thats not good to hear, when I was talking to the guy at the LFS, he said that a 90ltr would be fine for the small Mbuna species the ones that don't get musch bigger that 3"

Oh well, any way what about the filter?

Cheers
J

Hmmm. thats not good to hear, when I was talking to the guy at the LFS, he said that a 90ltr would be fine for the small Mbuna species the ones that don't get musch bigger that 3"

Oh well, any way what about the filter?

Cheers
J

Unfortunately, most LFS workers don't keep cichlids and really have no idea of their requirements. Most go by the 1" per gallon rule which is completely blown out of the water by cichlids. And, they want to make a profit as well. Sounds like it would be a nice shelldweller tank, they are great little fish, all that cichlid attitude in a small package.

The filter you suggested sounds fine.

Here's a link to shelldwellers, check them out.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/shel...ller_corner.php

well you say that, but this guy had been breeding Mbuna for 12 years, thats why I took his advice, you could say he was telling me what I wanted to hear, but I already bought the tank and buy fish for my others from there regulary

Hmmmm

Cheers
JOHNNY

Lol I hear that bulls**t all the time there is this little gink in my lfs and he is always banging on about how he breeds malawi but doesnt even realise that most of his fish are hybrid. And every time I go to get a different type of fish oh yeah he breeds them and has them in his display tanks at home lol.

His advice to me has been excellent so far I have no reason not to believe him, the LFS setupo is very ggod they have been heavily investing in the aquatics department.

Cheers
J

Hi again johnny70,

As with most things in fishkeeping, you are always going to get conflicting opinions with stocking levels and tank sizes etc. The general consensus with Mbuna is that a 4 foot tank is a must, not just on this forum, you will find that most reliable sources of information concur with this point. That's not to say people haven't kept them in less and sure they can literally survive in a small tank - it's simply the fact that you won't see the best of them and are likely to run into pretty serious aggression issues, even if you pick your species carefully.

If you want to see Mbuna happy and behaving naturally - you need to provide them with the correct environment. I understand your dissapointment but it really is good solid advice you are getting.

On the plus side shell-dwellers are fantastic fish and would have loads of room in your tank, check them out with the links provided - they have bags of character. :good:

One more thing - There's always room for that 4 foot tank somewhere. :hyper:

Most reactions

Back