Mbuna Tank Has Arrived

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jonnyuk

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
my new tank has arrived from a5 aquatics. nothing special just a standard glass tank with a glass lid. its going to replace my 2ft tank i had made by wharf aquatics. the wharf tank is better built for sure, the seems are cleaner, edges smoother etc. but A5 was cheaper and cost nothing to pick up (im local).

i currently have tangs but wanted a change, something abit more colourful and lively. i was going to wait until my tangs had sold but since no one wants them i'm going to stick them in my new tank. i'll keep them up for sale and hopefully find a new home soon, at this point i'll go get my mbuna.

i've been playing around with rock formations, i've tried to create caves, tunnels/holes to swim through, a centre piece but still maintaining open swimming space and some floor space.

i'm going with a species only tank, 1m > 3-4f. looking at

Cynotilapia afra Cobwe
Pseudotropheus saulosi

with a couple of cat fish

P9130978.jpg

P9130979.jpg

P9130981.jpg

P9130982.jpg

i think its about 125.

the tank is 32" long, 14" deep and 16". i have read lots saying mbuna should not be done in this tank, read lots saying it can be done if you stick with 1 species and 1 dom male. All my lfs says it can be done if you arrange the tank right.

i'll buy them young and see how they get on, if in a year they start to get to aggressive then i'll have to move them on.

Keep the large piece, otherwise it'll look to manufactured. I'd take the horizontal piece just to the right of the big piece and rearrange it so it's not level. Nice rocks, though.
biggrin.gif

The way it is arranged wont affect the fish that much, when spawning some cichlids like a nice big flat rock. So if you do break it, dont break it into tiny pieces!
Personally i wouldnt reccommend keeping mbuna in such a small tank, but im not guna lecture this because youre obviously well aware. What i will say though is there is no question about it, those fish will out grow that tank and you will eventually have to upgrade. I had the same sort of set up years ago, as soon as one got to about 2 inches i moved them all to a 300 litre. it will work for now though!
Be careful what advise you get from your lfs, some are genuinely helpful but sone tend to ben the truth for a sale!

i'm gonna leave the big piece but agree with the horizontal bit to the right, was trying to create a few more tunnels.

unfortunately this is the biggest tank i can fit in the house otherwise i would of gone for a 4ft tank. i've got what i've got and will see if i can make it work, if not then i'll have to rethink what i do.

my 2ft tank it technically to small for the tangs i have but it's worked out great. its allot down to the fish you get, some are easy going, some are right little b*st*rds!

I quite like that big slab. It would look impressive with moss, perhaps?

Moss is likely to get destroyed by mbuna, iif not eaten it will get picked at and thrown about. They dont give stuff like java moss half a chance to anchor itself! Its a shame because i agree it would look nice with stuff growing on it.

Moss is likely to get destroyed by mbuna, iif not eaten it will get picked at and thrown about. They dont give stuff like java moss half a chance to anchor itself! Its a shame because i agree it would look nice with stuff growing on it.

well my tangs will be in there until they are sold so i could add some moss, it might have a month or so to grow and attach to the rock. moss is as cheap as chips so its worth a try.

forgot to add my filter will be a rena xp3 so plenty of filter capacity

Oh yeah definately worth a try but id say theres still every chance that even when its anchored they're guna mow it. Hopefully not, i try not to be a pesimist!

Most reactions

Back