Mbuna Id Please

OK, I will check out the pics. Thank you!

A few more questions. From the list posted by rifty, is the saulosi also called pseudotropheus saulosi (sp?). Yes it`s the pseudotropheus saulosi http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/p_saulosi.php

I also liked the Afra cobu and Cynotilipia Hara but couldn't find either of those on the web site that I wanted to order from (at this point I just wanted to put them on a wish list) Do they have another name? They are known by different names http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1371

http://www.borstein.info/profiles/malawi/cynohara.html

Also, when I searched Ndumbi Red top "Pseudotropheus-Perspicax Orange Cap" came up. Is that the same thing? I think the multiple names for every fish is what's realy messing me up. They are known by the name Pseudotropheus-Perspicax Orange Cap but can be found by googling Ndumbi red top. Most shops tend to deal with or at least know the 'common' names' as well as the latin names of the different species (well they do in my neck of the woods anyway) http://mbuna-maik.blogspot.com/2008/10/pseudotropheus-perspicax-orange-cap.html

I'm trying to stick to strictly mbuna but want to keep the most peaceful tank possible. If I did 2 males to 4 females of each would that be OK? Mbuna aren`t known for being a peaceful species, although there are different levels of aggression I don`t think any of them can be considered peaceful but the ratio of 2: is a safer one, it tends to spread any harassment between the females and also keeps one male as the dominant one, which in turn should then keep him displaying his colours :/

Just out of interest, has anyone actually read my post??? Beware auratus!

Thank you

Not sure how you do that "quote" thing, but unfortunately around here none of the shops know even the common names for most of the cichlids they are selling. They are in tanks labled "assorted cichlids" and this seems to be the problem at every LFS I've been to. Thank you for the links.

Char la, how do I find your post?

I just looked up Auratus and it shows the female with a yellow strip (or stripes) mine have no yellow at all, just plain black and white. Do they vary?

Also, I saw a few web sites that said that Johanni are one of the most peaceful of the melanochromis species. So either, they are wrong or the rest of the melanochromis must be realy bad! :S What happens if you have one lone Johnni in a tank? So far he has not caused any problem at all. He seems to get chased more than anything, but he's still no where near full grown.

I just looked up Auratus and it shows the female with a yellow strip (or stripes) mine have no yellow at all, just plain black and white. Do they vary?

Also, I saw a few web sites that said that Johanni are one of the most peaceful of the melanochromis species. So either, they are wrong or the rest of the melanochromis must be realy bad! :S What happens if you have one lone Johnni in a tank? So far he has not caused any problem at all. He seems to get chased more than anything, but he's still no where near full grown.

I was talking about my first post Lisa, everyone was saying that the picture was of a female johanni but female johanni dont have black stripes. If its white with black stripes it could be a melanochromis parallelus.
In the shop i normally find johanni males are only really aggresive with other male johanni or any other species that looks similar

I'm so undecided about what to do. I definately think parallelus. I have 2 of the black/white ones (both bigger than the blue/black). I'm assuming the two black and white ones are both female. One is SO agressive toward the other. The one who is being bullied can never come out of her hiding space. If she does, the other one goes after her immediately..(unless it's feeding time). The black/blue one which I'm guessing is the male has shown no agression to anyone, yet from all I've read melanochromis to be the worst of an aggressive bunch. So, do I just take out the aggressive female and return her to the LFS? Should I take out both females? The male too? This is my first encounter with such a problem. What do most mbuna keepers do?

Most reactions

Back