Reaction score
Hi guys

Was just wondering whats the best varied diet for Mbuna

At the moment i am using:

Hikari spirulina
Hikari cichlid gold sinking pellets
Hikari cichlid excel mini pellet

your thoughts please

I am NOT an expert, but I believe you need to avoid foods with high protein. Mbuna feed primarliy on veg and you can cause health issues if you introduce them to too much protein. You might want to check what is in the gold and mini pellets.

Hopefully a Mbuna keeper will be along to either agree with me or tear my point to shreds!

Cheers for your thoughts, pretty much what i was thinking

I use Tetra Prima and Nutrafin flake, lower animal protein the better. Its the protein that sticks in there gut as they can't break it down easily and can in turn lead to bloat.
Feed sparsily and prioritise veggie stuff, most will eat cucumber, lettuce, brocolli etc from a clip or tied to a rock too.

I use Premium Granular food and Spirulina flake from ZM Systems for my Malawi/Mbuna. They do need a good amount of veg based food, mine seem to love it and also the algae wafers that I throw in for the plecs and catfish :good:

Thank you all for replies

my cichlids do really well on the mini pellet cichlid excel as it is vegie based as well as the spirulina tabs

just wanted to give them a bit of variety going to try the green veg on a clip see how they get on

thanks again

Most reactions

Back