May Have To Get Rid Of My Tank :'(

mattshez

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
260L with 7 discus, some shoals and corys :(

basically its kept in the bedroom as there is nowhere else for it, its been set up for 6 months, but im now worried that the beams cannot take it. Although the water is currently level, there is a suspicious crack in the wall and the skirting board has moved down roughly 1mm (probably been like that a LONG time, as im not too observant, possibly even before the tank was set up) :( took about 30L out just incase, but i cant settle with worry sadly.

I would lift one of the floor boards up and look to see if any of the joists have dropped or split.

If the ceiling below is plaster board it would be very clear if the floor had dropped even 10mm

If you cant see any damage maybe fitting a large bit of thick ply below the stand would spread the load more and there wouldn't be any worries :good:

buildings naturally expand in this weather, im willing to bet in the winter the crack will be gone. i wouldnt worry about it too much. but thats me :)

I wouldnt worry too much the joist can take alot of weight. I have my 270l in my room you just have to make sure you span two or more joists. It might mean you have to re arange your room. Just drain the tank and have alook under the carpet either follow a row of screws or lift a board to find the joists

buildings naturally expand in this weather, im willing to bet in the winter the crack will be gone. i wouldnt worry about it too much. but thats me :)

still full of panic, its a loft conversion, however done to a high standard. Basically a whole new floor was built above where the ceiling naturally started. Like i said it has been up here a looong time, however ive just noticed the crack, and the skirting at the top of the stairs is worrying :(

as Tizer said is probably due to expansion especially by a staircase.

If you that worried, say you have a 4ft tank get a 6ft bit of very thick plywood cut and slide it under the tank to spred the load, you can paint it 1st :lol: but its a lot better then getting rid of your tank

id go with the advice of lifting a few floorboards and taking a look at the state of the joists . that will tell you for deffinate if action is needed or not .

Most reactions

Back