Maximize guppy breeding + Fry Survival Rate

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
2x Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hello! I have some guppies, and i'm wondering how i can make them breed more and have fry survive more
It's summer here so i don't have a heater in the tank, so i can't really change temperature

Live foods are not available, and frozen might be too big for babies (frozen adult brine shrimp) (frozen Blood worm)
i have:
-breeder box (NOT watertight)
-qt tank (in use right now)
-watertight container that can float in the tank (~1 gallon)
-hammer+ envelope to crush foods
-various flakes, chunks, bottom feeder pellets, and small pellets of food (HIgh quality with mostly high protein, and some spirulina stuff, and a mix)
Tank info
- 75g
-heavily planted 2/3 lots of floaters
-other large fish such as pearl gourami, a family of massive swordtails
-10+ fast and super hungry large harlequin rasboras
- various cory

I am going to get in to trouble for this, but here goes.
Plant your tank to about 80% of its volume.
Feed your live bearers, porridge (just the way you make it for yourself minus the salt). spread it on to a small plate place it in the bottom of the tank and let the fish go for it.
Live bearers love a high carbohydrate diet.

I am going to get in to trouble for this, but here goes.
Plant your tank to about 80% of its volume.
Feed your live bearers, porridge (just the way you make it for yourself minus the salt). spread it on to a small plate place it in the bottom of the tank and let the fish go for it.
Live bearers love a high carbohydrate diet.
will that be OK with my other fish?
also do other grainy things work like noodles? we used to feed chiclids Noodles

will that be OK with my other fish?
also do other grainy things work like noodles? we used to feed chiclids Noodles
I don't know about noodles. But porridge works, when I bred Kissing Gouramis they were raised in a tank of live bearers, and fed only porridge, the live bearers were amazing. The kissing Gouramis were 8-10inches long when they spawned, it is a cool tank.

I don't know about noodles. But porridge works, when I bred Kissing Gouramis they were raised in a tank of live bearers, and fed only porridge, the live bearers were amazing. The kissing Gouramis were 8-10inches long when they spawned, it is a cool tank.
cool! i will definitely try that.
how do you store the porridge to feed many times a day? dry it?

cool! i will definitely try that.
how do you store the porridge to feed many times a day? dry it?
Just boil it up and store it in an airtight container in the fridge, it lasts about a week. Spread what you need onto something like a saucier and put it on the bottom of the tank. Be careful not to over feed (I will leave that part for you to figure out)

TankS are key. It's hard to get a lot of guppies in a community.

First decide how many you want and where they will live when summer's over.

A well planted tank will give you more guppies than you can handle, if there are no other species.

If you are thinking of selling guppies, then you need multiple tanks.

If there is a dreadful famine in your land, feed as suggested above. Otherwise, a high fibre, relatively high protein flake is easy and effective. I'd go with live foods, but I am a bit over the top in my set up compared to most. A veggie flake/staple flake/colour flake rotation would give variety.

Everybody's got their own way of keeping and breeding guppies. And I always say: There are more ways to get the job done. And if it works, it just works...
And in general, when the temperature is a bit higher the reproduction becomes more...

Just boil it up and store it in an airtight container in the fridge, it lasts about a week. Spread what you need onto something like a saucier and put it on the bottom of the tank. Be careful not to over feed (I will leave that part for you to figure out)

oh yeah how should i prepare the oatmeal? i gave them it but they do not seem to enjoy it
TankS are key. It's hard to get a lot of guppies in a community.

First decide how many you want and where they will live when summer's over.

A well planted tank will give you more guppies than you can handle, if there are no other species.

If you are thinking of selling guppies, then you need multiple tanks.

If there is a dreadful famine in your land, feed as suggested above. Otherwise, a high fibre, relatively high protein flake is easy and effective. I'd go with live foods, but I am a bit over the top in my set up compared to most. A veggie flake/staple flake/colour flake rotation would give variety.
where do you get live foods? no fish stores sell it.
can you hatch brine shrimp in a little container and feed?

The main live food I used for guppies was artemia, which I hatch in 2 llitre pop bottles. I buy that cola garbage to get the bottles!

In the US, the best source I know is brineshrimpdirect.

for other live foods, start networking here. I can't help with your border regulations.

The main live food I used for guppies was artemia, which I hatch in 2 llitre pop bottles. I buy that cola garbage to get the bottles!

In the US, the best source I know is brineshrimpdirect.

for other live foods, start networking here. I can't help with your border regulations.
do you need special equipment to hatch baby artemias?

If you want to breed guppies, get a tank or pond and put a few females in it. No males, just have females.

Have lots of plants, especially things like Water Sprite and Ambulia.

Feed the adult females 3-5 times a day. You can use a pair of scissors to cut up frozen foods so they are smaller for the little fish.

Deworm the fish so they aren't carrying parasitic worms that will stop them producing young.

Do big regular water changes and gravel clean the substrate.

Make up microworm cultures and hatch brineshrimp eggs. You can also culture daphnia and rotifers. See the following link for culturing food for baby fish.

oh yeah how should i prepare the oatmeal? i gave them it but they do not seem to enjoy it

where do you get live foods? no fish stores sell it.
can you hatch brine shrimp in a little container and feed?
This is what I used, in the day

Creamoata, a brand of finely ground rolled oats used to make porridge, was a common breakfast food in New Zealand for much of the 20th century. This Creamoata-eating boy is a specimen of ruddy good health.

It was really fine when cooked up, basically looked and had the texture of mashed potato

This is what I used, in the day

Creamoata, a brand of finely ground rolled oats used to make porridge, was a common breakfast food in New Zealand for much of the 20th century. This Creamoata-eating boy is a specimen of ruddy good health.

It was really fine when cooked up, basically looked and had the texture of mashed potato
Ohhh that’s why, the oats I used had skin and chunks

If you want to breed guppies, get a tank or pond and put a few females in it. No males, just have females.

Have lots of plants, especially things like Water Sprite and Ambulia.

Feed the adult females 3-5 times a day. You can use a pair of scissors to cut up frozen foods so they are smaller for the little fish.

Deworm the fish so they aren't carrying parasitic worms that will stop them producing young.

Do big regular water changes and gravel clean the substrate.

Make up microworm cultures and hatch brineshrimp eggs. You can also culture daphnia and rotifers. See the following link for culturing food for baby fish.
I will move some females to the quarantine tank once I put sand in it, and move some plants

Most reactions

Back