Maturing/growing Shrimp

TheAquariumGuy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I want to put shrimp in a tank but buy them in as babies. I don't want my dwarf gourami or rummy nosed tetras to eat them.

Would it pay to let them grow up in a net breeder box so they aren't harassed or eaten.
Would they escape or would they be fine?
How long do they take to grow up?

Thanks, TheAquariumGuy

What sort of shrimp are you considering? If you had a large enough colony and a large clump of java moss, then the shrimplets would probably survive OK, although with the smaller species of shrimp (eg cherries, crystals) you may well find that the DG would snack on them even as adults.

There'd be no way at all to guarantee the survival of all of them without completely separating them from everything, even then, it's not 100%, but at least they won't get eaten. 

How about just a very small tank from PaH, one of the plastic ones to grow them and then put them into your larger tank. 

p.s. still that's no guarantee they won't get eaten but it will increase their chances. 

Another option, may be better to get some of the larger variety of shrimps, like Amano shrimp or Bamboo shrimps, these are quite a bit bigger than RCS.

Here is a useful site on various FW shrimps that may help you gather more information.

http://www.planetinverts.com/Amano%20Shrimp.html

Do note, that amanos are difficult to breed in freshwater, amano shrimplets need brackish water in order to survive to adulthood.

Most reactions

Back