Massive Die Off

You're very welcome.

The value of forums online...however did we manage before?
thumbs-up.gif

Thats a bummer! I have had massive snail infestations before. My neon tetras have ded off one by one, but the last one survived. Maybe a virus entered the tank with the gouramis.

NeonTetraLover said:
Maybe a virus entered the tank with the gouramis.

Ich is a protozoan parasite, not a virus, but it can be carried in very easily by new additions and through water contamination.

I've seen this information repeated frequently on the forums about keeping angels individually, in a mated pair, or in a decent sized group. But, what happens if you have a large group and a set pairs off?? Do you have to remove them or will they work out territories?? And, how big of a tank would this require? I ask for my own curiosity, because I often see tanks with nice sized schools of angels on youtube and such. But, what do they do if a pair forms?? Always remove them??

Sorry to hijack the thread.

jag51186 said:
I've seen this information repeated frequently on the forums about keeping angels individually, in a mated pair, or in a decent sized group. But, what happens if you have a large group and a set pairs off?? Do you have to remove them or will they work out territories?? And, how big of a tank would this require? I ask for my own curiosity, because I often see tanks with nice sized schools of angels on youtube and such. But, what do they do if a pair forms?? Always remove them??

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Exactly that same set of questions entered my head.  Is it better to try and get larger angels which have already paired?  In keeping angels would you need several large tanks to allow the splitting of the group should pairing occur?  Do you move the pair to another tank and get two more in to keep the numbers up?

Tank size obviously is a major factor.  The individual fish also affect how they behave, though it is part of the inherent nature of the species to pair and then defend their territory to the death.  In the wild of course this is rarely if ever a problem as the pair form their territory and the weaker fish move elsewhere, or battles ensure among very strong fish that again either result in separation or death.

I have heard of success with a mated pair and the rest of the initial shoal in a 4-foot tank, but there are also times when this would never work.  Members like Akasha who have gone down this path will have direct experiences.

Adding new angelfish to an existing group is a very real risk, and usually unsuccessful.  This is where moving the existing fish (minus the pair obviously) to a new environment when the new fish are added can sometimes work, but again not always.

This is one of those things to recognize and plan for, when acquiring angelfish.  Research into the fish's nature, and probable behaviours, is so important.  These fish live in what are basically boundless spaces, and as soon as we place them in an aquarium, whatever the size, we are creating an artificial situation for the fish.  But the fish is programmed by evolution and we must accept this reality, rather than thinking we will change it.

Byron.

Most reactions

Back