Mass Suicide =\

Ogrt48

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Well I woke up this mourning to find my betta and 3 sword tails sunk to the bottom of my tank dead. Something is seriously wrong with my tank. Only 2 in there survived whatever went wrong all of a sudden, my little under water frog and another sword tail.. The sword tail is in a corner swiming up to the top and to the bottom again over and over super fast.
It's a 10 gal tank and I have no clue whats wrong. I think I'm just going to completely empty it, clean the gravel and fake plants, and start over. Anyone have any idea what could be wrong and easy ways to empty a 10gal tank using stuff from around the home? :\

I'm not sure. This mourning I went out to get a new betta while I was there I picked up a new heater. I gotta leave for work soon so I can't change the tank until tomorrow so my new betta is gonna have to enjoy a little bowl tonight ><

My big problem is figuring out how to empty this thing

What fish were in there originally, it sounds like quite a lot for a 10g. What are the water stats?

A male betta, male swordie and 3 female swordies. Oh and a tiny underwater froggie. They all got along great. I dunno how to do water stats. :\

How long has the tank been going for?

Was the tank cycled before you put the fish in?

How often do u feed the fish?

Do you do water changes?

Do you use dechlorinator in the new water?

Gee

How long has the tank been going for?

Was the tank cycled before you put the fish in?

How often do u feed the fish?

Do you do water changes?

Do you use dechlorinator in the new water?

Gee

Probably 6 weeks or so atleast.
I feed them twice a day normally.. sometimes just once if I'm away at night.
I been doing small partial changes when I can.
Yup I add dechlorinator every time I add new water.

So sorry for your fish. Make sure the temp. is right. If that isn't the prob, maybe its the pH level. Check all the water level, all the nitrates and stuff. Use a bucket to scoop water out of the tank or use a cleaning tube.
~Caroline~ :sad:

the problem is a six week old tank needs to have fish introduced really slowly. take a sample of water to your local lfs they will test it for u i suspect youve got new tank syndrome please dont strip down your tank it really acheives nothing

Gee asked 3 x's if the tank was cycled. I use BiroSpira and prepare filters before starting new tanks, but 6 weeks sounds short if the tank wasn't cycled with that many fish. A lot of ammonia can build up in 6 weeks if the tank isn't cycled. Was the Betta hanging around the top all the time? Even when using helps a tank needs to be added to slowly to get it established so it can handle the waste.

Is there a cover on the tank. Arisols can poison a tank. Did your apartment spray? There are many things can poison a tank. The first thing is always to look at the water quality. Take a little time and study the nitrAte, nitrIte, ammonia cycle.

I'm sorry. Hard lessons. Most of us learned hard lessons. More hard on the fish. :-(

Yes lozzles is right, scrubbing the tank will just undo the good your first fish did getting your tank some good bacteria. It has begun cycling. Your fish just couldn't overcome the damage done while the tank cycled. Don't empty the tank. Do a major water change. Perhaps twice a day until the water is healthy. That is of course if the lfs confirms our suspicions. The frog breathes at the top I think. Remember that everytime you empty the water you throw out ammonia and other toxins, but also the good bacteria. So keep som water. 50% water change is considered drastic, although I panic and do them; 30% is a big one; 10% is a weekly amount, I think. 6 weeks is too long for a small tank.

Thanks for the replies, sorry I'm slow I'm at work and just on a break now.
I dunno what cycled means so I'll just say I dunno. I had the fish in little 1.gal bowls for awhile, then 6 weeks ago I saw a nice sale on the 10 gal. I brought it home, put the gravel and plants in. Added the water + chemical for chlorine and let it sit a few hours before adding the fish. They've been normal, they swim around and all. The betta hasn't been hanging around the top ever. Past few days I thought he was more towards the bottom like he was hiding or something though

A cycled tank has developed an ecological balance of beneficial bacteria in a tank. The bacteria need ammonia to live. They change the form of the ammonia to a less toxic substance which in turn is changed again. Then a 25% water change reduces that. In smaller betta tanks of a few gals it is easy to just change all the water every few days. But a ten gal is more problematic, Most will use a filter then. That's when cycling comes in. It takes awhile for the ammonia and nitrites to build to a deathly toxic level.

Take the water in to be tested. Your lfs may be able to help too.

Try this article here

Most reactions

Back