Marks On Tail - Anyone Able To Id It?

David J

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi

Tonight I have noticed what looks like a small cluster of white spots on one of my lemon tetras tails. I have seen ich before and don't think this is ich. Below is a link to a pic where you can see it quite clearly. N the fish itself is acting normal as are all other inhabitants. I see no marks on any other fish.

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu120/DavMars/015aee2cfcbcd4a94268dc7fcedc8a2b.jpg

Tank and stock details are in my signature. No new stock has been added for about 2 months. Ammonia and nitrite are steadily zero with weekly testing, most recently this morning. I do 30% water changes weekly along with good vacuuming. I have live plants but no new ones in the last 4 weeks.

Any ideas?

Thanks folks,

David

Hi again,

This morning, the white marks are still there but I don't think they are as bad. It might be my imagination though. No marks appearing on any other fish.

Does anyone know what this might be? I've had a good search online but it just keeps leading me back to ich but I don't think it's that. Surely ich would have spread by now. I remember the first and n,y time I've had ich in my tank and it spread to many fish overnight.

Thanks folks,

David

Sorry David... I can't really see anything on the pic... at least nothing clearly.

I can see the mark you are referring on the upper part of the caudal fin, It's not Ich, It could just be an area where it's taken a knock, and that could open the door for a fungal growth, I'd stick an extra dose of dechlorinator in the water to help with slime coating, and keep an eye out for any developments over the next few days
Capture_zps155b8a25.jpg

KirkyArcher said:
I can see the mark you are referring on the upper part of the caudal fin, It's not Ich, It could just be an area where it's taken a knock, and that could open the door for a fungal growth, I'd stick an extra dose of dechlorinator in the water to help with slime coating, and keep an eye out for any developments over the next few days
Capture_zps155b8a25.jpg
Hi

It does seem to be fading slightly. I will look into helping with the slime coat. I've never had reason to worry about this before but have seen a few comments about slime coat. I like to know about things before I do them.

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad you agree it isn't ich. I didn't think so either but know how devastating that can be so I was worried just in case it was. I will post updates.

David

I agree, not ich. Most likely, as Kirky says, a catch on something or some nipping off another fish.

Clean water and time should heal it up, sounds like it's starting to heal anyway, so you're doing things right already.

Just an update for anyone that's interested. I've been keeping a close eye on the white marks on the tail. They have gradually faded and now only one faint spot is left. I haven't noticed any other problems with any of my other fish at all, apart from losing a panda cory but that is another unrelated story which I put in another thread.

Cheers to everyone that replied.

David.

Most reactions

Back