Marine Tubes In Freshwater Luminaire?

jonnyf84

Fish Herder
Reaction score
hi, this might be a obvious question but i just want to make sure. Can someone tell me if i can use t5 marine tubes (1 actinic and 1 white) in my arcadia t5 freshwater luminaire, its currently running on two 24w plant gro's, if so can i use the more powerful 39w tubes?

Thanks.

hi, this might be a obvious question but i just want to make sure. Can someone tell me if i can use t5 marine tubes (1 actinic and 1 white) in my arcadia t5 freshwater luminaire, its currently running on two 24w plant gro's, if so can i use the more powerful 39w tubes?

Thanks.

You'll have to check if the luminaire can take a 39w tube, if it can the marines should work fine.

You'll have to check if the luminaire can take a 39w tube, if it can the marines should work fine.

judging by all the tubes i can find i can't get 39w t5 tubes in 550mm, only 24w, a straight swap from 24w plant gro's to 24w marine tubes will have to do, i take it this won't be a problem?

So i'll be looking at only 48w of lighting via 2 14000k tubes in 100 litres, is there any corals that i can grow in that light that anybody knows of?

So i'll be looking at only 48w of lighting via 2 14000k tubes in 100 litres, is there any corals that i can grow in that light that anybody knows of?

What is the depth of the tank?

There is a good selection of soft corals that should be fine under that light, mushrooms, leather corals, toadstools, star polyps, zoanthids and more.

Thanks for the replies, i found two unbranded tubes for the same price as a single arcadia tube - are the cheaper tubes as reliable?

My tank is 18" deep. I'm new to marine so i would want the hardiest of corals, is there any suggestions, i really like anemone's and goniopora's?

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, i found two unbranded tubes for the same price as a single arcadia tube - are the cheaper tubes as reliable?

My tank is 18" deep. I'm new to marine so i would want the hardiest of corals, is there any suggestions, i really like anemone's and goniopora's?

Thanks

Lol, you just picked 2 of the most difficult species that you can keep :D , long term survival is very poor and anemone's need strong lighting, mature tanks (1yr+) and also large tanks.

All the corals i ahve mentioned above are hardy and will be fine under your lights.

Can't comment on the tubes.

Nick

Haha, sods law i guess, are there no anemones considered as weeds that only require low light, other than the likes of aiptasia. Just done a bit more research, your spot on, goniopora's are deffinately out :crazy:

Haha, sods law i guess, are there no anemones considered as weeds that only require low light, other than the likes of aiptasia. Just done a bit more research, your spot on, goniopora's are deffinately out :crazy:

Sorry no nems like that, plus they would all require a bigger tank than you have.

If you had four t5 you could go for a bubble tip anemone when your tank is mature and if the tank is big enough 9sorry, cant remember, tired) as for the Goni, go read the coral of the week thread and you will certainly think again

Seffie x

judging by all the tubes i can find i can't get 39w t5 tubes in 550mm, only 24w, a straight swap from 24w plant gro's to 24w marine tubes will have to do, i take it this won't be a problem?

which tubes where you looking at? Ive read that corals get more usable light from tubes around 6,500k. I personally would recommend a Korallen zucht coral light 10k for the white tube. Ive got an arcadia blue but am not impressed with it. Alot of people use a narva blue tube.

Most soft corals should be fine such as zoa's, mushrooms and leather corals.

i like the reviews of the narva blue T5's but what is the best tube to run along side it for coral growth and appearance? Do i need another blue tube, a hybrid or a white one?

Thanks again for all the help.

if you were only going to run 2 then i would do a blue and white.

if it was me i would use a KZ coral light.

if you were only going to run 2 then i would do a blue and white.

if it was me i would use a KZ coral light.

thanks for the recommendations, a lot of people seem to go with similar set ups, although i just read that the kz coral light has a reddish tinge to it?

Is this the one you mean:

http://www.stm-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Korallen_Zucht_T5_Multi_Bay_Lighting_Units.html

The coral light is a 10k which is white. the coral light figi purple is the one with the reddish tinge (i have one and tbh its not much different to the normall coral light)

you want the 3rd tube down on that site.

Most reactions

Back