Marine/tropical

marine is saltwater, while tropical refers to the temperature of the water

Marine is sea water fish - salty, tropical fish refers to freshwater tropical fish.

Its easy to get confused though as most marine keepers keep marine fish from tropical areas.

Isit easy to look after both?

Because salt water fish are stunning

just asking though :D I like my fish in freshwater hehe

Isit cost more?

Isit easy to look after both?

Because salt water fish are stunning

just asking though :D I like my fish in freshwater hehe

Isit cost more?

Salt water stuff is famously more difficult to keep, definetely not for the beginner, as to how expensive it is, well the fish are far more expensive, and theres far more expensive high tec kit available for marines. Theres quite a few people who control lots of aspects of their tank with computers! There are cheaper ways to run marine tanks, but never at the same cost as freshwater, and definetely not something for beginners

marine fish is certinly for the more experienced keeper. i have had a go at both now i am concentrating on th etropical as a lot cheaper to do.

with marine fish are certainly very beautiful.

but i missed the breeding aspect you can acheive with the tropical set up

Marine is saltwater fish. Generally people only do tropical (warmwater) marine; however it's still called Marine. Tropical refers to temperatures usually between 72 - 82. Freshwater tropical, means fish that thrive in that temperature live in low-salt waters.

Marine tanks still need heaters, unless, of course, you want to do coldwater marine which will be undoubtedly difficult due to most members' lack of experience. I'm not exactly sure the ratio of salt/water, but it's a lot. You can just add salt, in a way, but it won't be a very marine looking tank. Most people get live rock, which serves as filtration so you don't need a filter, live or aragonite sand, possibly corals but you can't just stick those in and hope to live, perhaps protein skimmers, pump, lighting, invertebrates and an endless battle with algae, if not more.

marine (or saltwater), brackish and freshwater refer to the level of salt in the water, marine is full stregth sea water, fresh water is no salt (or very very little) brackish is anything in between.

tropical refers to a high temperature, coldwater being it's opposite. you can have any combination of the above, so brackish coldwater is possible, as is saltwater tropicals and so on.

however what most people commonly understand from tropical, is that is is warm water freshwater fish, although this is not technically true.

to put it simply saltwater is more complicated and more expensive but often more satisfying, head over to the saltwater section and read through some pinned topics to find out more.

Hi Riicky,
I am currently setting up 2 tanks.

1 Marine 90 Litre Nano Cube (Reef) with corals, inverts and about 3 or 4 small fish. My total running costs are Tank with Cabinet £225, Rerverse Osmosis unit £90 for RO water (a must), Powerhead £40, Sand £20, Live Rock £90, Salt water test kits £20+, heater £20, inverts (shrimps, snails etc) £40+ and fish £50+. Total approx £600 so far and this is nothing fancy mind you and the sort of equipment listed above is not the cheapest but also not the most expensive.

1 Tropical FW tank 120 Litres with cabinet £200, External filter £40, Sand £8. Fish and plants approx £40-50. Total costs £300 approx so far

Long term costs for marine tank will be approx £20-£30 per month with reef salt, food, electricity but nothing else.

Long term costs for tropical will be approx £10 per month electricity, home made CO2

There you have it. These are all approx costs but marine tanks do cost more, you have less fish and the water parameters have to be checked every week without fail otherwise you may suffer a crash and everything will die in your tank and you have to start all over again.

Hope this helps

Helped alot :D

I suggest that I dont do salt water for many years lol its just i wasnt sure of the different types but that has now added to my new learnt knowledge thanks everyone :D

Helped alot :D

I suggest that I dont do salt water for many years lol its just i wasnt sure of the different types but that has now added to my new learnt knowledge thanks everyone :D

You can do both marine and/or tropical Riicky, but you have to do 3 things.....research, research and research. I am a beginner with marines and all I have been doing for the last 3 months is reading all I can about marine fish, reefs, corals inverts, water quality, lighting, equipment etc. If is very interesting, but as long as you don't ask my g/f. She just wants to look at the finished article.

What I have found about about marines is that you can have an amazing looking tank whatever the size, just as long as you have a bottomless wallet or you have found a bag stuffed full of crisp £50 notes.

Start reading all about marine fish keeping and check out some forums like www.ultimatereef.net and www.reefsuk.org.

I think you will find it most enjoyable

I spent 7 months researching for marine aquariums and now ive had it for a week or so, and i feel if i didnt research the tank wouldnt work and crash. I didnt research when i started my freshwater tank until after i set it up so i had some problems but it all turned out good in the end.

Marine tanks can be very easy, but you have to be confident, research, have a good amount of money and spare time on your hands. And you have to research some more, books, internet, lfs (but dont rely on lfs too much, its just that i have a good lfs so i can trust them since what they say is the same thing you guys say here) and you need some more money and more research and you need another job to get the extra money and you need to research some more. The fact is marine tanks cannot start without research and a lot of money.

Most reactions

Back