Marina S15 Slim Filter In A 60 Gallon Tank

crawfish

Reaction score
Hey people, I have a marina s15 slim filter in my 60 litre tank but it doesnt seem to work very well theres always bits of junk and the waters never really that clear does anyone else have this filter? and do you reckon its worth buying a new better filter and if yes which filter would be best?

I'm guessing you got it with the tank? I think I have the same tank as you.

I ended up replacing it with something with a bit more flow. I went for the Fluval 205 in the end. The 105 would have done but went for the 205 in the hope of getting a bigger tank in the future and it still being big enough. It's not until you get an external like that you realise how rubbish that filter is.
laugh.gif

I would get an aquaclear 30. More choices for media, great flow and last forever. Plus it gives you the option of upgrading your tank in the future if you wish.

well in theres 6 harliquins 5 corys 5 platies and 2 assassin snails so its just a tad bit :( and yep i have the same tank :)

Those marina slim filters are total CRAP lol, my 160l tank came with 2 of them. within a few weeks I had swapped to an external :good:

well I really dont want to have to go for an internal filter its bad enough that i have a small space already without reducing it further. Fluval 205 sounds good, forgive me Im new to best filters but i have money to spend so would it be better for me to get a filter which can handle loads of water or does it just become to powerful and start to damage my plants and fish?

should i get the fluval 305 instead or that just plain over kill?

The 205 is rated for aquariums up to 200 litres, the flow would be very strong in the tank. If your certain on getting a fluval, the 105 would be more appropriate in my opinion (rated for 100 litre tanks):good:

well ive gone with fluval 206 as i will upgrade to a larger tank soon and then I wont have to cycle the tank that way quick question should i keep my old filter working whilst the new one gets the correct bacteria etc if so how long does it take to be till im able to get rid of the old filter?

I am going to step in here and disagree with your whole premise crawfish. A filter will never keep every scrap of material out of a tank. Its purpose is to remove biological poisons. It is up you to remove things like fish wastes and floating particles using water changes. I run lots of tanks and have yet to ever see a filter that can do everything and let me avoid tank maintenance. Tank maintenance is simply a fact of life for a fish keeper.

Dont worry im not saying this filter will solve all my problems but im hoping that it improves my tank. Using the old filter i would do a water change getting rid of all the rubish in the tank then turn the filter back on after refilling and it would just dump bits of crap that got loose in the filter everytime.Im sure its because it a cheap crappy filter and cant handle the bio load, Im doing large water changes on this tank around 50% every couple of days to help reduce the about of rubbish. so surely the new filter would help my tank rather than harm?

In other words i will still be doing all the normal tank maintance but the tank will benefit from an actual decent filter :)

Bit of an update ive hadthe filter installed for a week with the other running and the tank seems to stay cleaner and the fish seem much more happy although i think i will have to get a spraybar in the long run. I might keep both filters running it couldnt hurt could it? :shifty:

Most reactions

Back