Marimo Moss Balls are they as good as people say for betta

Aquavulpes8

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've been told that these are great for bettas but just like in the past my sources have come up wrong so I'm double checking here are these good for bettas

Your sources are correct this time. Live plants are great for water quality and are less likely to damage flowing fins than plastic ones. The only warning I would give is this- check the moss ball to make sure it doesn't have any little invertebrates (like outbreak causing snails) on it. Also, a dying/rotting plant of any kind can cause problems, so rotate the moss ball occasionally (so that all sides have access to light) and trim dead sections if they appear. Every few weeks, you can wash it in clean water, gently squeezing and rolling it (no soap).

*Moss balls are ultimately very hardy plants and I can't think of a reason not to have one unless it's dead or covered in zebra mussels. Go for it!

Your sources are correct this time. Live plants are great for water quality and are less likely to damage flowing fins than plastic ones. The only warning I would give is this- check the moss ball to make sure it doesn't have any little invertebrates (like outbreak causing snails) on it. Also, a dying/rotting plant of any kind can cause problems, so rotate the moss ball occasionally (so that all sides have access to light) and trim dead sections if they appear. Every few weeks, you can wash it in clean water, gently squeezing and rolling it (no soap).

*Moss balls are ultimately very hardy plants and I can't think of a reason not to have one unless it's dead or covered in zebra mussels. Go for it!
Ok thanks I'll have to learn how to identify those snails and whatever else you said but sounds like it shouldn't be to hard to do

covered in zebra mussels
Wyoming has banned moss balls because of these mussels. In the UK, you're OK with them.

Pest snails are different unless you are happy with them. I have 2 species of pest snails in both my tanks - three if you count malaysian trumpet snails - but mine are not out of control as I don't over feed my fish.

There shouldn't be a problem getting moss balls in the UK.

Several years ago, the EU passed a law saying that all plants imported from outside the EU had to be treated with a chemical to kill snails because of one species of apple snail being found in a river in Spain. Plants grown within the EU, which are not exposed to apple snails laying eggs, do not have to be treated. These chemicals will probably also kill zebra mussels. I know we have left the EU but that law will remain until the UK government repeals it.

But this does mean that any fish keeper who has or is intending to have shrimps or snails should not buy plants grown outside the EU or they could well end up with dead shrimps and snails. I have shrimps and nerites and only buy plants guaranteed shrimp safe.

Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) is the best plant for Betta splendens.

Most reactions

Back