Male or female?

BigBurgassio

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I think this is a female guppy, initially thought it was male then noticed it getting chased a lot by male endlers.
IMG_20240831_101820.jpg

It's male as identified by the long thin anal (bottom) fin (called a gonopodium).
Females have a fan or triangle shaped anal fin.

If you post a video of the Endler's chasing it, that might offer more information.
Upload videos to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.
If you use a mobile phone to film the fish, hold the phone horizontally (landscape mode) so the footage fills the entire screen and doesn't have black bars on either end.

Thanks, I actually moved it into a different tank as I didn't want anymore breeding, he's in the 60L with Betta and another guppy that is definetly male but that fish doesn't bother it.

The male endler probably thought that this male guppy was a female. This guppy seems to be a late male.

The male endler probably thought that this male guppy was a female. This guppy seems to be a late male.
I think so yes there was a group of about 3 or 4 males endlers that chased and hassled it the whole time, must have been stressful for the guppy so that's why I ported him in along with the betta, thankfully the betta pays no attention to the guppies, 60 litre as well so plenty of space.

Most reactions

Back