Male Or Female?

Jaiden

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm at a loss and have no idea what I have here and no idea where else to ask. Some of you guys really know your Bettas and I'm hoping for a bit of an experienced opinion here.

I have what I thought was a female. It's quite the looker, IMO. I had her/him in with some Guppy fry and all was well...until I added two more females. Things were fine, there were lots of plants and hiding places in the tank and this little bugger killed one of the females. I assumed it was because the two new ones were a bit smaller and this one is quite large...so I separated this one into a split tank with Sully (my Plakat male). That's when I noticed the massive flaring fights and a pretty nice sized beard appeared out of no where. However, I know females can flare and I believe I remember someone saying they may have beards? I could be wrong...

Anyway, I'm sorry about the poor quality. I'm not the greatest picture-taker of fish...especially when they're darting around. Although, Sully looks nice. But he's a laid back kinda guy. Any help would be great...I just want to know what you guys think.

DSCF0433.jpg

DSCF0430.jpg

looks to be a male, but i dont know loads on betta! -_-

I gather we are talking about the red fish. If so it could be a short fin male.
Depending on how old it is, young males and females have a white ovipositor (egg laying tube). Mature males are dark.

"With Sully, the plakat male".
The red fish is a plakat male, so I assume that's Sully.

The fish with the steel blue fins is definitely a male. It's clearly a veiltail - veiltail females have perfectly round tails.

Sorry...yeah the blue/black one :blush:

The fish with the steel blue fins is definitely a male. It's clearly a veiltail - veiltail females have perfectly round tails.

Is it normal for VT's to have such short tails? It's tail isn't shredded or missing. It's just really short. It's not as short as the PK, but it's definitely a LOT shorter than your average VT ????

So it must be mixed with something, right? It's not a true VT. It can't be.

His fins are fuller, but not much longer than the Plakats fins.

Oh well...at least it was $5 cheaper because I bought it as a female lol He is quite nice looking!

he looks like a vt crossed with a sd or pk to me, perhaps he is actualy young and body wise big for his age and his tail hasnt caught up?

but anyways, both are boys, and very pretty boys at that.

Most reactions

Back