Male Or Female?

First of all I want to thank all of you for all the very valuable information. I appreciate it more than any of you will ever know. Our oscar means alot to me and he is very smart. He only likes me to feed him, why I dont know. He practically starts dancing when I come in the room and demands my attention. If I dont give it to him he pouts and sulks. Our filtration system is a Tetra pro-II and it works wonders. Thank god for that since the pleco seems to only eat and poop and then poop some more. Anyway thank all of you again and keep the information coming. I thought "he" was a he all along, I call him my boy.

A 15-16" gibby pic for Nevergone ;)
030606gibby1.jpg

He was mine, so it's not some photoshopped image I found on the internet :lol:

030606gibby.jpg

I've seen (and owned in the past) 12-18" commons too. If a common is staying small, it's usually because their tank is too small. A minimum of a 4 x 18" x 18" is needed for plecs this big, and when I say minimum I mean bare minimum. Mine are in a 6 x 2 x 2.

De Niro, KathyM's gibby that she gave to me stayed at about 6-7" in the LFS for a few years, because he was in a small tank. When I rehomed him, he'd already grown another 3-4".

55g isn't big enough for a plec really. And certainly not big enough for an oscar and plec. And if the plec is a gibby, it's way too small. They can and do get to 2ft. It's more likely to be 18" but still best to be prepared! :good:

A 15-16" gibby pic for Nevergone ;)
030606gibby1.jpg

He was mine, so it's not some photoshopped image I found on the internet :lol:

030606gibby.jpg

I've seen (and owned in the past) 12-18" commons too. If a common is staying small, it's usually because their tank is too small. A minimum of a 4 x 18" x 18" is needed for plecs this big, and when I say minimum I mean bare minimum. Mine are in a 6 x 2 x 2.

De Niro, KathyM's gibby that she gave to me stayed at about 6-7" in the LFS for a few years, because he was in a small tank. When I rehomed him, he'd already grown another 3-4".

55g isn't big enough for a plec really. And certainly not big enough for an oscar and plec. And if the plec is a gibby, it's way too small. They can and do get to 2ft. It's more likely to be 18" but still best to be prepared! :good:
That one looks identical to mine. He's a gibby? Could you explain what that is please? So you think I need to rehome the plec.

Gibby aka sailfin plec. Probably the second most common plec sold in LFS behnid the common plec. They'll tell you they dont get bigger than 6-12", but in reality they can reach 2ft, although 12-18" is the average:
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/speci...?species_id=148

It's sad really, because LFS will claim that if you dont want a big plec like a common, to get a gibby, as they only get to 6-12" - but in fact they get bigger than commons. It's a shame how we take their advice as standard, when a bit of research before we buy (we've all made that mistake) would ensure we wouldn't get stuck with fish we cant provide for. Beautiful plecs in a big tank though :)

Why not use it as a good excuse for a tank upgrade?

Gibby aka sailfin plec. Probably the second most common plec sold in LFS behnid the common plec. They'll tell you they dont get bigger than 6-12", but in reality they can reach 2ft, although 12-18" is the average:
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/speci...?species_id=148

It's sad really, because LFS will claim that if you dont want a big plec like a common, to get a gibby, as they only get to 6-12" - but in fact they get bigger than commons. It's a shame how we take their advice as standard, when a bit of research before we buy (we've all made that mistake) would ensure we wouldn't get stuck with fish we cant provide for. Beautiful plecs in a big tank though :)

Why not use it as a good excuse for a tank upgrade?
That is a very good idea. What size of tank would you recommend? I am afraid to get rid of the plec as I cannot be assured that it would get good care. So I am up for suffestions as far as tank upgrades or anything else that would help the plec and my oscar. Thank you again.

Personally for a sailfin I'd say 5'x2'x2' would be a good size, could get some other fish with your oscar and plec then. Personally I wouldn't keep the goldfish though.

I think it is a boy fish you got there
Is that just a guess? No reasoning behind it?

Most reactions

Back