Male Or Female Ram?

Samuran said:
the whole pink belly thing only applies to GBR's not golds and even then it's hit and miss unless you're dealing with wilds....

Ben

It applies to both. That's partly how I was 100% sure my female was indeed female when I bought them. The females still have pink bellies whereas the males don't.

I agree with paradise. I added 2 female rams to my tank, the male immediately went to one of them and had all fins extended and was swimming close to her, and bodies were touching. She then went pink in the belly area, they swim everywhere together. 

I still wouldnt rely on it, I've seen loads of female rams that never get the pink tummy even when spawning...

Ben

Samuran said:
I still wouldnt rely on it, I've seen loads of female rams that never get the pink tummy even when spawning...

Ben

It's not 100% reliable, there is that. Same as the "extended dorsal spikes" isn't 100% reliable in males. It does, however, help with identifying male from female if they have a pink belly.

That's cool that they've paired up so quickly!

Can I have some of their babies??? Hehe!

fm1978 said:

If I manage to raise some, yes lol. I think I'm going to try getting them to spawn on a small flat rock that I can remove from the aquarium and move to a separate aquarium where I can raise them myself as in the big tank they'll have no chance.

i must have two males or two females then cos mine dont swim around togther or anything lol ( i have EBR's)

JonesyJ666 said:
i must have two males or two females then cos mine dont swim around togther or anything lol ( i have EBR's)

Electric Blue are a little harder to sex lol. Do you have decent pictures? If you start a topic we can attempt to sex them for you? :)

Yes, I'd love to sex your electric blue rams!

Hehe, but seriously, those are my fav rams and I would like to see them.

fm1978 said:
Yes, I'd love to sex your electric blue rams!

Hehe, but seriously, those are my fav rams and I would like to see them.

I think the one my friend has is male as he has the extended dorsal spikes but like I said, that's not 100% reliable as some well bred females have it too :lol:

fm1978 said:

I don't think they will have babies! If they do then sure you can have some! 

Here they are!

cea1e6c5-1644-402a-af03-97d45bcd4bf8_zps56ea86cb.jpg

569186d1-0bac-44ec-a104-cf8c516b52de_zps1dce4746.jpg

The other female is pink too!

5662c9c9-7e34-4b03-82a4-25ed55b68b30_zps42a332f8.jpg

Side by side like that it's MUCH easier to distinguish male and female!

It's always easy when you know how :p

Lovely fish Nylah, Cichlids have to be among the most interesting/intelligent ! of them all.

Has he picked a partner yet ?

Most reactions

Back