Male Kribensis?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Katie13

Reaction score
Can someone please confirm whether or not this Krib is a male? My other one is for sure female. I believe this one is male, but I'm not one hundred percent sure as this is my first time keeping this particular species of Dwarf Cichlids.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

That one's a female too, the males are generally more longer and streamlined with pointier fins.

That one's a female too, the males are generally more longer and streamlined with pointier fins.
The tips of the ventrals on my female are rounded though while this one's are pointed. I believe it's younger.

Here are a few pictures of the points on the ventrals.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Here are a few pics of the anal fin. I'm really thinking its a male.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I'm still thinking female looking at those pics, how big is the fish? the dorsal is blunt I'd expect it to be pointier unless it is very young, head shape looks female too, how's the interaction with the other fish? do you have a pic of both fish together please.

I'm still thinking female looking at those pics, how big is the fish? the dorsal is blunt I'd expect it to be pointier unless it is very young, head shape looks female too, how's the interaction with the other fish? do you have a pic of both fish together please.
It's probably 2". The dorsal has a small point I can't capture in pics.
image.jpeg

I'm still going to say female, I take it she is the one in the front? at 2 inches it should be apparent by now, the males are quite obvious, are you able to return one to swap for a male as I take it you would like a pair? they are lovely fish. I have bred them a couple of times before and they were fascinating to watch but I would not attempt it in a community tank with other fish as the parents are usually very protective of their young and make the other fishes lives a misery.

I'm still going to say female, I take it she is the one in the front? at 2 inches it should be apparent by now, the males are quite obvious, are you able to return one to swap for a male as I take it you would like a pair? they are lovely fish. I have bred them a couple of times before and they were fascinating to watch but I would not attempt it in a community tank with other fish as the parents are usually very protective of their young and make the other fishes lives a misery.
If the do get just incredibly aggressive, I have empty tanks they can go in if necessary. I'm planning to swap it Saturday as they're getting new stock in this week. Do you think I could get by with a pair of Albino Kribs in my 60 gallon that is 48.5" by just under 13"? It currently has
2 Angels
3 female Bettas
5 GBRs
Mystery Snails

Like I said, I have other tanks if it doesn't work out.

Most reactions

Back