Male guppies

juno26

Reaction score
Okay so about 2 weeks ago I got my first fish. 3 male guppies. Everything was going well but one of them had been acting strange from the beginning. He would often freeze and then suddenly swim very erratically around the tank. Over the past week I noticed he was eating less and less and then since 2 days ago nothing at all.

This morning he started floating vertically with his head up and kept doing this all day on and off until he passed away. After some googling I think it was swim bladder as his behaviour matched all the symptoms. I feel terrible that this happened. I wish I could’ve recognised it sooner and maybe prevented it.

The other two guppies seem to be doing fine. Just to be safe I’m going to fast them for a day or two and then feed them peas. I’ve also adjusted the tank temperature from 24 degrees to 27 degrees. Is this the right thing to do?

The other thing is that the guppies seem to be attacking each other all day. I thought it would just be in the beginning to establish a pecking order but they’re still doing it 2 weeks in. They chase each other around the tank and have stare downs. They have places to hide in the plants but it doesn’t seem to help. Could this be solved by adding more guppies? Or will that worsen things? Now that there’s only 2 left I’d like to get at least one more but I’m nervous about the fighting. My tank is 60 litres.

Thanks in advance.

Adding more guppies if youre existing ones are males will dull, the aggression, I keep 4 male guppies together with a bunch of females with no problems at all. What are your water parameters?

I have all males but they do chase each other. If you want all males, keep an odd number like 5 so they all get a chance to rest.

Males do chase each other but if you have at least 5 with plenty of hiding spots it should be tolerable for them all

Adding more guppies if youre existing ones are males will dull, the aggression, I keep 4 male guppies together with a bunch of females with no problems at all. What are your water parameters?

My GH is 10d, KH 10d, pH 7.6. I keep the temperature at 24 degrees.

Th
addon
if you want all males they will fight because they want sex and they not getting any. u need females or u will lose fish
this is completely false, you can easily keep males together, problems arise when you don’t have enough females, but in this case there are no females.

Th

this is completely false, you can easily keep males together, problems arise when you don’t have enough females, but in this case there are no females.

im going have to agree to disagree until I have proof. From my understanding, this is an issue.

Male guppy fish are wired to mate and in a male-only guppy aquarium, males will start to become aggressive towards each other if there aren’t any females around.

Aggression may progress to the point where there will be fights between male guppies. Even then, these fights may not be dangerous, and most aquarists report they’re more for show.

Males are just simply trying to impose their dominance and power, resorting to bullying and territorial behaviors.

Whenever you notice this type of behavior in your male guppies, the first thing you should do is to check for injuries like injured fins, tails, etc.

If there aren’t any signs of injury, it’s likely just a harmless rough and tumble between your male guppies, however, if your guppy fish start injuring other male guppies or other similar fish, you should separate them or add females to the mix.

Note: unreliable source

Last edited:
im going have to agree to disagree until I have proof. From my understanding, this is an issue.

Male guppy fish are wired to mate and in a male-only guppy aquarium, males will start to become aggressive towards each other if there aren’t any females around.

Aggression may progress to the point where there will be fights between male guppies. Even then, these fights may not be dangerous, and most aquarists report they’re more for show.

Males are just simply trying to impose their dominance and power, resorting to bullying and territorial behaviors.

Whenever you notice this type of behavior in your male guppies, the first thing you should do is to check for injuries like injured fins, tails, etc.

If there aren’t any signs of injury, it’s likely just a harmless rough and tumble between your male guppies, however, if your guppy fish start injuring other male guppies or other similar fish, you should separate them or add females to the mix.

Note: unreliable source
What experience do you have with guppies?
you even noted your unreliable source.

Most reactions

Back