Male+female

Tom4Fish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well basicly i would like to no why people on this forum have a HUGE thing egainst male+ female bettas living togeather

1. the male will NOT kill her ( he may flirt but thats it )

i have kepy my male betta harry and my female betta lynda in the same tank for around a momth and a half now and they are fine. she gets the occasional flirt but that is it

Just because they have been fine for a month and a half does not mean that they will continue to be fine. A few people have had success keeping them together but that is only a few.
It is not just a question of the male attacking the female, the female is more than capable of attacking the male also. Why would anyone want to risk that?
The chances are they will continually harass each other which will cause untold stress on both of them, I really don't think that's fair.
I keep all my males seperately (no other tankmates of any sort) and they are all happy and healthy. They swim around the tank constantly showing off for me and show no signs of stress at all. That is how I like my fish to be!

most pairs aren't like yours. they'll get along fine and then one day they'll snap and one or both will end up injured

i would never suggest keeping them together because it is risky and very dangerous. Males accept females usually only in breeding, and after breeding is done he will attack her (sometimes resulting in death) So i wouldnt keep male and female together. If it is only for a short period of time then that is okay, but they should not be put together and kept together. You may also keep them together if the tank is a large tank (such as 75-gallons or more) so they have their own territory and dont need to fight.

I hope this helped you and your bettas! :D

you can keep them together. it's hard to do b/c you have to find bettas that get along and it might take a few trys. but i wouldn't do it unless its about a 75gallon tank or bigger. i've heard of people doing it in a 55gal. but i'm not sure if that would work very well. but you do need to get 2 more females. they form gangs and thier will be a picking order in the group.

and you have to think about the temperment of each fish. you can't say for certan that it will work or not, or that they will atack each other. but i would sepperant the two unles you have a big tank and get more girls. MPI

I've been here for quite awhile, and every year or so somone shows up thinking they have somthing that everyone else does not; that that somthing enables them to house 2 or more bettas of the opposite sex together with no problems. You must understand that while your fish may be particularly more mellow in personality than others, housing them together will almost certainly result in injury. It will happen eventually, tomarrow could be the day that Mrs. Betta snaps and tears Mr. betta to shreds. Housing them together may not be casueing either fish appartant injurys yet, but the ordeal is stressfull on them, and they really need to be somwhere where they can feel safe. If you like seeing your fish together, buy a divider for your tank.

People here dislike the idea of keeping bettas together because most of them have kept fish for quite awhile, and know a thing or two about them. Im not belittleing you or knowledge in any way, but when the general consensous is that they shouldn't be kept together, there's a good chance that they shouldn't.

No 2 Betta's are the same they are all different just like you, I've had a spawning pair in a tank for nearly 2 weeks without any problems (then again they don't mate either) I've had other spawning pairs where the male has harassed the female so much that she died after only a few hours.

Some males and females are very mellow others are super agressive.

I've recently spotted a male swimming in a tank where I thought there were only females growing out and they were 7.5 months old, he would quite happily have kept on swimming with them but I didn't want over eggy females which is what was happening (had me puzzled that's for sure), no nipped fins and everyone happy as larry.

You are lucky to have two happy fish, but I would keep a close eye on the pair as they could just as easily decide they've had enough and then turn on each other. :good:

Most reactions

Back