Male And Female Together?

Joshy

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Now before any insults and flaming I want it known im not a newbie at all and I have been a member of these forums for a long time. But I have learnt from life, if you do not question things, you never learn anything new.

So im questioning you now, and want your views on what would happen if a male and female were kept together. Has there been any record ever of them living together peacefully enough in someones aquarium? Or is it guaranteed failure. Because people told me in the past that fighters can not live with things like guppies. Sometimes they are right, but there are exceptions that I have witnessed.

Anyway your views will be appreciated and valued.
It is just a question that has been playing on my mind having done lots of research.

Thanks

i have kept them together in the past before and there didn't seem to be any problems, then male never flared or showed any aggression what so ever, the same pair were kept with guppies platies and tetras. i also had a male live with angel fish before.

but comparing them to my 2 boys i now have, each with a 6 gallon to themselves the only difference i noticed is that the 2 in community didn't notice me, where as these too do, and i'd miss that if i dare try it again

much topic if debate, in the past i heard from many former breeders and lfs that they did keep bettas this way, kinda like guppys 1 male and several females, even to the point one breeder had a mated pair and several spawns in the same pond, and when the babies got to selling agve he drained the water and took out the teenagers. however reciently most fish keepers are for the seperate male and maby a female sority, however even lately many people are having aggresion problems with females.

i think and this is just my opinon, that tank size has somthing to do with this. my tanks go female 10 gal, up to nine. male ten gal up to 5 divided of course. and the spawn tank is a 20 gal. now a days we all ***** about the betta in a cup crap, but most people go by the accepted standard of 1 gal minimum.

after talking to the pond breeder guy again he explained it as this, his bettas he breed in shallow, but huge ponds in his green house, about 150 gal per pond! so i guess its more live wild living, and he was very succesful, he said his average spawns were 200 or more, with about 90% living to adulthood, a much better rate, then mine, out of 50 wrigglers i have 28, at 9 weeks.

and he did say the lack of his pestering did have somthing to do with the fish behavior, he said really besides feeding he pretty much left a pair on thier own , and it did take several spawns before they got it right, eggs eating, baby eating, female not being intrested no nest, but after a few months pairs would usually get to it and then have many succesful spawns , almonst monthly, with both parents activley caretaking.

he also mentioned much less aggresion, fish that he kept with the parents longer stayed calmer and in the babies subsquent spawns, showed less aggresion to females. and sister females out of the same spawn almost never had the problems most of us have today with our girls.

i think it comes down to a few things, genetics cause siome fish just are nasty, parenting and mostly tank size. and i do think tank size migth also be one problems people have with breeding, and the subsquent egg eating and bad parenting, maby a bettas feels threatened in such a small space to care for his young? espicaly with a person poking at them to look at the babies?

i would never keep males and females togather on the tank terms i have now, but if i ever got to the point where i could have actual ponds i might try that approach.

Hi
I inadvertaintly put what i belived was a female into my female tank........the females realised she was actually a he before i did, and they destroyed him :no: And that was in a 15 gallon planted with lots of hiding places.

It is for this reason, and the fact that many many others have had similar experiences, that i would never do it nor advise anyone to do it.

It beats me why anyone would risk it knowing what could happen. In my opinion its an unnecassary risk to put your fish under.

I suppose it depends on the individual Bettas although generally I think it probably wouldnt work and having seen what they can do to each other I wouldnt risk my fish's health or lives to try.

Most reactions

Back