Malaysian Trumpet Snails ?

znk

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My lfs seems to have MTS in all it's tanks. Could I be confusing them with an other less desirable type of snail? I've been considering MTS to move my substrate a bit. Is it something I could regret? And how do I make sure they are MTS?

Thx.

And would my Kuhli loachs leave the snails alone?

They are sort of a pest snail in that they reproduce a lot.

I don't know for sure about the loaches.. there's probably a chance they will eat em.

They are sort of a pest snail in that they reproduce a lot.

I don't know for sure about the loaches.. there's probably a chance they will eat em.

Yeah that's all I knew them for. But some with planted tanks with sand substrate seem to swear by them.

if thgey have a cone like shape for a shell, they are MTS.
kuhlii loaches will usally leave them alone, all my adults are alive and moving, and i often see lots of baby MTS too, so ever the kuhlii loaches arent eating them, or the adults produce so many babies, i dont notice any missing.
they do a great job of moving the sand, and eating left overs. but do reproduce quickley, but grow slowly.

i have heard alot that the loaches wont touch them because they have a much harder thicker shell that they cant eat. as far as i know MTS are the only ones with the long conical shells (i think there is another type that is larger but really hard to come by) and i believe they leave your plants alone and are helpful with the substrate churning stuff, so i believe really the only downfall is the reproduction

hope that helps!

Most reactions

Back