Malawi Or Tanganyikan?

I'm not familiar with that filter but the GPH is fine. You'll probably get any filter cheaper on an i-net site though, even with postage costs - might be worth a look.

Try this site - i use them a lot, very quick delivery and good prices:

https://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/cat...9b5559adc7b19a9

Its the same as my tank !, I use a rena xp3 external and the fluval +4 for adding flow in the tank, as ferris said the hood is not the best but compared to the juwels its better IMO.

My tanks in the pinned section at the top if you want a look as you will see mine is way way over stocked but i do have plans for a bigger tank soon.

thats a nice setup.
the limestone makes it look really good.
do you use sand or cihlid gravel stuff.
thats alot of fish.
is it true that the synodotis gobble most of the fry, if so i might get some as i don't have spare room.
if my external filter was powerful would it allow me to have more fish, in terms of capacity not aggression.
so maybe an extra female of every species taking it up to 15 fish in the tank.
thanks,

chris.

also would the xp2 do the job.

or the xp1, £20 cheaper than the xp2. flow rate = 165 GPH, that should be ok shouldnt it.

It's better to have too much filtration then not enough, if you can afford it, I would spring for the xp3. Adam and I both have it and love it.

I wouldn't reccommend the XP1, its just too small - filtration is one of the most important things in an Mbuna setup and it's not worth cutting corners with it. XP2 maybe but bigger is nearly always better with filtration, especially with Mbuna.

Go for the xp3 it has an extra compartment which i use for keeping spare filter media in just in case i need to set up a hospital tank quickly or it can be used for adding different media such as phosphate removers or ceramic rings ect. it also has a higher output.

One of my lfs is selling them for £80.00

synos do eat fry but so does every other fish in the tank if it can catch them.

15 fish is about right plus a couple of bottom fish.

I use crushed coral but im switching to sand as soon as i can get the stuff clean.

Dont go by my stocking im way over what should be done, plans are a foot for a 8ft tank !

getting the xp3, worth that extra money.
if i can get 15 mbuna in the tank could i have something like this

4 labs: 1M 3F
3 rusty: 1M 2F
4 maingano: 1M 3F
4 afra (cobue): 1M 3F

I would say that's 3 too many - I'd drop the Afra completely and add 1 more Rusty. 12 is plenty for a 42 gal - remember their adult size.

Most reactions

Back