Malawi Or Tanganyikan?

mccabec

Reaction score
I'm not sure which, help.
im limited to around 30 gallons (UK) so will only be a species tank of malawi cichlid, really. 1 male 2-3 females.
on the otherhand their is much less info on tanganyikan cichlids but i know some shelldwellers only grow to around 2".
can anyone give me some info on the two types of cichlids and some of the more hardy, smaller species, and other general info.
thanks in advance, chris.

If i was to go bigger, say up to a 42 gallon (uk) tank would i be ok with a few small mbuna, i really like the colours. tank dimensions 120 cm x 40 cm x 40 cm.

Those tank dimensions (120x40x40) will be perfect for an Mbuna tank. :good:

how many fish could i have in this setup.
i am looking at less aggressive species and really like:
electric yellows
pindanis
cobues
colbalts
and rusties.
i know i will only be able to keep at most two of these species so could you point me in the right direction as to which of these would mix the best.
thanks alot, chris.

i forgot to say.
the tank at my lfs comes with a fluval 4 plus internal filter with a flow rate of 260GPH, will this be enough for a mbuna tank?

I would say you could go for either 2 species (6 of each) or 3 species (4 of each), preferrably with a max of 1 male per species although this is not crucial with the less aggressive species you are interested in.

Labs, Rusties and P.Saulosi would be a good mix for that size tank but i would suggest adding an additional external filter as the stocking level will be quite high. :good:

I personally would avoid Afra's (cobue), Socolofi (pindani's) and Callainos (cobalt's) due to your tank size as they are slightly more aggressive than the other species - Still possible to do though, just more risk involved.

someone on another forum also suggested an adittional filter, and he said just buy another fluval 4 plus. would this be another possibilty?
the guy also said 12 fish. 1M 3F of each, so im glad theres no conflicting info there. :good:
would socolofis be ok or would they just be too risky.
thanks for the help,
chris.

forgot to add.
would you reccommend any other commonly kept mbuna to go in this tank.

Another +4 will be fine for filtration but 2 of them will take up quite a bit of space inside the tank whearas external filters actually increase the water volume slightly. Externals are much more effective at biological filtration but there's not much in it mechanically and of course they are more expensive. Either will work so it's up to you.

Socolofi's are a possibility but IME they can be pretty feisty. They are certainly not highly aggressive but there would be an element of risk involved, that said - there always is with Mbuna. :lol:

Other suggestions would be Pseudotropheus Saulosi, Melanochromis Cyanorhabdos (make sure you don't get Johanni by mistake - much more aggressive but they look very similar) and Pseudotropheus Acei.

the melanochromis look very nice, i will probably have them aswell then.
what sort of flow rate am i looking for in GPH with the external filter?
thanks for all the help it is really appreciated.
its also lucky that i didn't want anything for christmas and i pocketed the money. :shifty:

this is the tank at my lfs, is this a good deal?
1 x Fluval Glass Aquarium 120 cm x 40 cm x 40 cm
1 x 1200 mm Glo Light Double Light Tube Canopy
1 x Fluval 4 Plus Underwater Filter
2 x 42" Flourescent Bulbs
1x Tronic Heater
1 x Digital Thermometer
1 x Nutrafin Max Tropical Flake Food Tub
1 x Nutrafin Cycle, Aqua Plus and Plant Gro Water Treatments
1 x Carbon and Polyester Filter Pads
1 x Green-X Phosphate Remover
1 x Aquarium Guide
6 x Assorted Plastic Plants

THE TANK RETAILS AT £319.99 OUR PRICE IS £219.99

I make sure all my tanks (especially the Mbuna tank) are filtered at least 4 times their total volume per hour - so the 65 gal has a total of just over 300GPH which is actually nearer 5x its volume.

I also run at least 2 seperate filters on each tank - That way i can completely clean out a filter once a year without upsetting the biological balance.

Good call getting cash for Xmas. :good:

I'd go for the Ecco 2234 or 2236 - I think they are going to replace the Classic range and the build quality is that bit better IMO. Pretty cheap for Eheim too. Another good buy is the Fluval 305 - very reliable, quiet and cheap.

The Classic 2213 is a little lightweight. :/

Sorry just saw your post about the deal on the tank. That looks a pretty good price - i had the 1200 a couple of years ago and it's a decent setup. One warning though, the hood makes it difficult to fit external filters with large diameter hoses (like the Fluval 305) and you would need to modify it slightly - no big deal though, i managed it and i'm certainly no DIY expert :lol:

they don't seem to have either of those on my lfs website but the do have the interpret prime 20 which has a flow rate of 152 GPH, is that anygood?

Most reactions

Back