Making slate hides and would appreciate any tips 🙏🏻

The slate was delivered today. Beautiful stuff & more than 20 pds
Have a feeling the eBay seller gets these pieces free & shoves all he can into the flat rate USPS box.

May run with Barney’s PVC pipe suggestion.
265442E0-BD9F-49C4-A92F-0A2BF40D0235.jpeg
The seller says he has fish tanks & just stacks them, but I like the PVC frame idea.

This slate would look cool just resting on the tank bottom.

What does the slate look like when it's wet?

guessing a little darker than now. Will wet one & take a pic soon.

Have a feeling the eBay seller gets these pieces free & shoves all he can into the flat rate USPS box.

May run with Barney’s PVC pipe suggestion. View attachment 148677 The seller says he has fish tanks & just stacks them, but I like the PVC frame idea.

That looks identical to some rocks I found... Looks like they gave you some nice variety!

He did! I left behind hundreds & hundreds of pounds of slate when I moved from a big old Victorian house. Used as roofing material back in the day. Tossed into yard when they reroofed. No one ever bothered to haul it away.

May run with Barney’s PVC pipe suggestion. View attachment 148677 The seller says he has fish tanks & just stacks them, but I like the PVC frame idea.

Be careful using slate in aquariums because fish and axolotls can cut themselves on the sharp edges. There is at least one piece in the picture (on left) that might be an issue. If the slate has sharp edges, do not use it in the aquarium.

If you want hiding places for axolotls, use pvc pipe and put silicon or super glue on the outside and cover it in sand or plants.

Thanks, Colin, will do. Glad you reminded me of how to camouflage PCV pipes. Think they’re ugly naked.

Most reactions

Back