Making My 800 Gal.... Bigger

surely it would as if its more gallons then it should be more fish as in the inch to gallon rule not saying its accurate just saying its got a bit of logic. :unsure:

surely it would as if its more gallons then it should be more fish as in the inch to gallon rule not saying its accurate just saying its got a bit of logic. :unsure:

no depth doesnt count to more fish, only length and width

the inch rule is only a starting point as measuremnts of the tank have to always take into account as well, and are justt as important

no depth doesnt count to more fish, only length and width

the inch rule is only a starting point as measuremnts of the tank have to always take into account as well, and are justt as important
I think on a project of this size you may be a little out of your depth (if you will pardon the unintentional pun).

Assuming the OP has a fairly large and lumpy filtration system and decent surface agitation then the limiting factor on the fish kept in the tank/pond will be the rate at which contaminants accrue. More water means you can have more fish in it before the accumulation of undesired material equals the previous rate.

very nice plan, i have watched your previous vids on youtube and it looked amazing! im guessing your in the US? it sems all the people who build HUUUGE tanks are yanks. must be something in the water! or the fact things seem to be much cheaper over there.

keep us updated

Yep, I'm in the U.S. North east Ohio to be exact :) And no, things arn't cheap here LOL

As for the inch per gallon rule, it is obsolete. It makes absolutely no sense what's so ever.

Could I keep a 10 inch oscar in a ten gallon?

How's about a 30" Clown knife in a 30 gallon tank?

What about two 5" male mbuna in a ten gallon?

I could go on for days with a million and one examples why the one inch per gallon, or the one inch per square inches or whatever rule simple does not work. It's an old wives tale that fish will grow to the size of the fish tank.

These are the exact reasons why Monster Fish Rescue exists...

MonsterFishRescue

Although I am a new fish/water keeper I applaude your effort in what you are doing, have a had a good look around your website and want to comment that it's such a shame so many idiots buy fish that they really have no home for in time and that so many fish stockists allow the sale in the first place. I have big respect for your intention.

Best of luck with your project - the tank looks fantastic by the way - if only I had the space I would become monsterfishrecueuk lol

Keep it up and look forward to seeing the next update.

Cheers!

Thanks Very much! I actually have a contact across the pond that can take large things in if need be. I don't get very many rescues from over on your beach though... Which is a good thing I guess :)

very nice plan, i have watched your previous vids on youtube and it looked amazing! im guessing your in the US? it sems all the people who build HUUUGE tanks are yanks. must be something in the water! or the fact things seem to be much cheaper over there.

keep us updated

lol...bigger is better here lol...

The tank is coming along nicely, cant wait for another update!

no i dont think it is 1 inch =1 gallon thats why i said not saying its accurate it might be 1 inch=5 gallons or what ever.

It's an old wives tale that fish will grow to the size of the fish tank.

These are the exact reasons why Monster Fish Rescue exists...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the inch to gallon thing is of the fully grown fish size and again probably not 1 inch to 1 gallon.

any way good project keep updated

Sorry man, I just can't let the one inch per whateverr thing go. There is no standard one inch per any gallon rule what's so ever. It simply does not work! A 30 pacu would not live in a 150....... nor a 60" redtail cat in a 300 gallon.... Again, I can give a million examples! LOL

The best rule of thumb is to do your research first. :) And in doing your research you'll find that there's no rule of thumb for one inch per one or even ten gallons. Large aggressive catfish should have a tank atleast four to five times longer than their adult body length, and a width and height atleast one and a half to two times longer than their adult body length. So a five foot redtail cat should have a 20'x10'x10' tank.

If it seems like I'm beating this subject to death it's because I am. It's my job (or I feel it's my responsibility) as a seasoned person in the hobby to try and help new comers or the inexperienced. This (I hope) will help them not give up on the hobby. It's a very rewarding thing keeping fish, I'd just like to help as many people realize that when these fish are kept in optimal conditions they have to potential to live a very very long time. Always understock, always over filter, and do as many water changes as you feel like doing. Because no matter what you do it's still not the lake, ocean or river!

So I promised everyone an update by Thursday, the only thing I really got done was four out of seven sheets of hardie panel installed. Tomorrow hopefully the rest of it will get done… We’ve got a party Saturday, I’ve got work Sunday and three days next week so not much is going to get done again for a while… I hate work… It gets in the way of the things I really want to do! LOL

Here’s some pictures:

The hardie has been glued to the floor with liquid nails:

016.jpg

This is showing one of the preliminary holes that’s cut for one of the bulkheads:

017.jpg

This is a picture of two dogs and a cat:

twodogs.jpg

LMAO two dogs and a cat :lol: oh well...glad to see an update! i would volunteer to come help you out, but i live over 2000 miles away...skip work tho! lol anyway... oh i made a donation on MFR.com...is that going to fund this project? Just wondering...

Thanks very much for your donation! As of yet your donation is sitting in que and will probably be used for food which I intend to get at the next local auction! You can get pounds of food at insane prices at auctions!

Here it is, up date 14!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHCMbRywux4

Nothing exciting really, but for those of you that do not have speakers here’s a summary:

1.) The hardie is going in slow due to waiting for it to dry before the next piece can be put in.
2.) The pump and unions have been ordered for the radiant heating system. They will be in this week.
3.) Most of the plumbing has been purchased for the radiant heating system.
4.) The Pond Armor has been ordered!
5.) The temperature controller arrived today too!
6.) The basement is a mess.
7.) I wish I had more time to get this thing done.
8.) If I had hair I’d be pulling it out.
9.) I’m tired.

Sorry about the non working video Steve… youtube insisted that the first time I uploaded it failed. They even asked me if I wanted to try it again… So I did. It said it was successful so I posted… Then all of a sudden they said it was a duplicate! &@$!@%#$

That’s ok, I forgot to post the pictures I took of the bracing LOL So here’s the pictures:

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

And here’s one from today:

001.jpg

And here’s the video… hopefully LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9z7iLTGPLs

Most reactions

Back