Making Cave

Amunet

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Anyone know a website or have done this themselves and willing to give any advice?
I want to make a cave for hopefully a future Ram and would like some pointers on what I can do.
Oh I want to make it out of our old aquarium rocks. We bought some tank sealant stuff as well to glue it all together.
Other than that though, I'm not sure where I should start.
Should I glue the rocks to the outside of a tupperware container?
Should I just use the rocks?
etc etc etc etc....

EDIT:
Bleh I forgot about the DIY section of the forums.. mods can move this if they want.

well ever time ive made one ive use 4 pieces of slate(you could prob use rock to although it may be harder to hold.) and then i just hot glue gun the sides i wanna connect so it turns into a little cave. you can also use drift wood but that takes forever to sink.

Well, why not show us what kind of rocks? Are they peices of slate? You can make some fine peices of art/caves with simple slate and a little aquarium sealant.

LOl not slate... I'll get some pics of the rock tomorrow. Too tired to do it right now.
It's just a mixture of small and slightly larger smooth pebbles.
I'm gonna try to glue them to the outside of a small tupperware container after I've cut some holes into it to see if that works

I made this for my community tank

NewTankCave.jpg

Just a piece of drainpipe, cleaned, a few holes cut into it, covered with slate attacted with silicone(aquarium safe). its about 3" diameter and 8" length.

Left to dry for 1 week, popped in the tank. fish love it

Cheers
JOHNNY

oh and I made a similar one with small pebbles, was a real pain, but looked ok. not as good as this one.

Thinking of making them nad putting them on ebay, what do you think.

Cheers
JOHNNY

NewTankCave.jpg

Just a piece of drainpipe, cleaned, a few holes cut into it, covered with slate attacted with silicone(aquarium safe). its about 3" diameter and 8" length.

Cheers
JOHNNY

oh and I made a similar one with small pebbles, was a real pain, but looked ok. not as good as this one.

Cheers
JOHNNY

use that!

NewTankCave.jpg

Cheers
JOHNNY

Cheers
JOHNNY

That's awesome! I'd definitely try to sell them. Do them in all sorts of stones or slate or whatever. Really nice work!

NewTankCave.jpg

Cheers
JOHNNY

Cheers
JOHNNY
that looks sooo cool, im gonna try it :good:

I've just been to look round B&Q for some choc blocks for some wiring, and ended up looking at some slate as i really want to build two caves out of it for my new tank. The only problem was that i've never realised how much it weighs. Would this be a problem in my tank?

Most reactions

Back