Making A Twin Fluorescent Light Hood

digsy

Reaction score
I have a 33 gallon tank with an eclipse bulb which I believe is 18W - not much good for growing plants :/

I have a Perfecta hood and looking at it I think I have room to 2 fluorescent lights if I remove the original light fixture.

So my question is - can I just use florescent light fixtures that I can buy from my local DIY store ? (or is there something special about the twin units that aquarium websites sell ?)

If I DIY it it seems like I will save at least 50%.

Well, the only real difference is the capacity of the ballast used. Lights are powered by a ballast with a certain number, size, and wattage rating of bulbs. Any two ballasts identical stats are usually nearly identical in performance. Remember that some aquarium hoods are designed for T8 or T5 bulbs while some "hobby" bulbs/ballasts are designed for T12. Since you're growing plants, two appropriate length T8 or T5 bulbs and a ballast to power them would be pretty good. Stay away from the T12 technology, its old and very ineffective at growing plants

Well, the only real difference is the capacity of the ballast used. Lights are powered by a ballast with a certain number, size, and wattage rating of bulbs. Any two ballasts identical stats are usually nearly identical in performance. Remember that some aquarium hoods are designed for T8 or T5 bulbs while some "hobby" bulbs/ballasts are designed for T12. Since you're growing plants, two appropriate length T8 or T5 bulbs and a ballast to power them would be pretty good. Stay away from the T12 technology, its old and very ineffective at growing plants

I've had excellent luck with NEC tri-phosphor daylight T8 bulbs. I use 3 of the 15W variety over a 15g-ish tank, in a DIY wooden hood. The plants go insane.
Steer clear of "full spectrum" bulbs - they waste a lot of useable energy by trying to create a broad spectrum, rather than employing discrete peaks in the areas needed for photosynthesis. Decent tri-phosphor bulbs rated at 6,500K - 9,000-odd K will give great results. Office buildings often use them... to cheer up employees !

I use these bulbs on 18W electronic ballasts from B&Q. Here's what happens if I skip a weekly pruning session:

overgrowth2.sized.jpg

overgrowth1.sized.jpg

But (with a bit of help) it's easily fixed....

overgrowth3.sized.jpg

aftrpruning.sized.jpg

John

Most reactions

Back