Making A Stand For 55G

Mike_Syr

Reaction score
I want to make a stand for a 55G, 48" X 13" X 20" tank. I want to be able to put a 15G or 20G underneath to hold water for water changes.

I would like to use solid 1" pine boards for ends and 1 X 4 or 1 X 6 boards across top and bottom and with vertical supports on each end. I plan on 2 X 2's for each inside corner and either a 2 X 2's for internal support of the 1" horizontal pieces at the front and back or the aquarium. I want to avoid a vertical support at the center on the front to be able to put the extra tank underneath. I calculated almost 500 lbs for the aquarium and water and another hundred for accessories. I know I have to consider the weight for vertical support and provide lateral support so the stand doesn't collapse. I plan on checking into renting a pocket screw jig or biscuit joiner to put the boards together.

I would like to know if this will work or will I need better support. I will try to make some drawings of my plans.

I found plans in the archive for a 55G using 2 X 2's for the frame. It has a center vertical support on the front. Do you think I could use a 2 X 4 for the top front horizontal piece and avoid the vertical support?

almost 500 lbs. ????

the weight of a 55 full of water and nothing else is 625.............

Firstly how confident are you with your joinery skills? as one split in the timber could cause hell.

What type of floor is this going onto?

And it is possible to build the stand with 2x2 uprights and no center support, However i would recommend serious over engineering the design, with 6x2 or maybe three or four 4x2`s on the top running along the top and some 18mm structural ply along the back to really hold the thing rigid.

At least that's what i would do.

I went by the calculator here. It said 486 lbs for freshwater for a 48" X 14" x 20" 58G Tank. I rounded some number up so it came out to 58G.

almost 500 lbs. ????

I have my own tank stand build thread that you can link to from my signature area. It is built much as you describe so it may give you some ideas.

I went by the calculator here. It said 486 lbs for freshwater for a 48" X 14" x 20" 58G Tank. I rounded some number up so it came out to 58G.

almost 500 lbs. ????

Check this link out -----> http://alysta.com/books/fishtank.htm

"Common Fish Tank Sizes and Characteristics"

I guess I have to go with the heaviest weight I find.

I went to my local Home Depot and found almost all the wood I need in their "Culled" wood. That is wood that is left over when customers have pieces cut. I spent less than $10 on the wood. The only thing I need is the pieces for the shelves. I may even be able to get some boards for that when I check back at the store.

Most reactions

Back