Making A Bonsai Tree

umpsfar

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
After seeing a few of the amazing pictures of aquarium bonsai trees online id really like to make a go of it.
this is the best out there ive seen.
My link
rather than buying some expensive bog wood (not that i have even seen any suitable piece's where i live) i'd like to get a plant of the right shape and size, and i have found one, looks like a little evergreen plant with leaves on it like a bay leaf.(ive no idea what plant it is or how quickly it would disintegrate or poison my fish, now i expect some advice on not using random stuff in my aquarium, the bark on it looks great but i suppose i will have to strip that down) :( its going to take about a week of using a combination of salt / oven / bleach and hot water. While i get my CO2 system up and running,
link on how to make safe "bogwood"
My link
its about 8- 12 inches tall and would look great in my tall tank with some flame or xmas moss tied to it.
On removing the plant from the pot i discovered that the root system looks even more suitable and would give the impression of a tree like an oak, but alas the roots will have to be removed as i would imagine they would hold a considerable amount of sap.
Pictures later(if i dont get slammed for even trying this)
any takers on discussion?

It's impossible to tell without knowing the type of plant it is. You have to assume it's toxic unless you know for sure it's safe.

If you wanted to look into buying wood, redmoor is what you're after. Generally available on Ebay, or if you really feel like splashing out, Aquessentials does a lot of 'tree-y' woods, and since they're generally sold by individual piece you know what you're buying.

Can you imagine a problem if the sap was totally drained out of it ?
then the holes in the plant plugged with aquarium sealant.
if i was to go ahead with this i would think of maybe doing the following.....
cut the plant in areas cover with table salt for one day . oven for a few hour, bleach and boiling water, repeat till for 7 days ... SAP could always leach into the tank and #62### up the filter i suppose.

BTW, redmoor search on fleebay got 4 results.

Can you imagine a problem if the sap was totally drained out of it ?
then the holes in the plant plugged with aquarium sealant.
if i was to go ahead with this i would think of maybe doing the following.....
cut the plant in areas cover with table salt for one day . oven for a few hour, bleach and boiling water, repeat till for 7 days ... SAP could always leach into the tank and #62### up the filter i suppose.

BTW, redmoor search on fleebay got 4 results.

I got 42 results :look:

Most reactions

Back