Major Guppy Overpopulation!

yeah well the JD will grow somewhere between 6-10inches depending on the fish, so be prepared.... now its not that they grow Crazy fast, (like an orsar or something) but you could return it in a while after you've taken care of your problem.... or, you probably have some time here, wait for a while untill he reaches 3-4-5 inches long and switch up to a bigger tank... that will give you a while to decide for now anyway...

I came here for help, comments, and criticism. I appreciate the advise I get, but mocking me by asking rhetorical questions is going to piss me off, I'm going to leave and ultimately it's going to hurt the fish. If you guys want to be a$$holes, go right ahead, I'll never be back. If you guys want to help, give advise, I'm more than willing to take it. I'm an animal lover, I want the best for my pets, that's why I'm here.

I came here first, got advise. Went to a pet store. They told me it was the best fish for the situation. On the price tag there was listed a "minimum aquarium size" for the fish. An angel listed minimum as 30 gallons, which most were saying was my best bet given the situation. On the Jack Dempsey it said 20 gallon minimum. What would any logical person have done given the situation? I bought the fish, came home, read up on them, and came back here for an update and more advise. As a result I get, "You put a Jack Dempsey in a 20 gallon tanks........?"

He's 2 inches long, if that. I don't think I'm killing him just yet. So go ahead and bash me, ban me, or help me, it's your call.

You should try rehoming the guppys here in the buy/sell/swap section of the forum, if you lived near me i would be more than happy to take any excess guppys off your hands :thumbs: .

Sorry to "freak out" on you guys. I do appreciate the help you're giving. I'm also finishing up a backyard pond, somewhere around 600 gallons I think. Not sure how he'd do out there, but it's at least something to consider. I live in southwest Florida, climate seems to be fairly similar to where he's from (Central America I believe?). Never really gets below 50 degrees outside.

I came here for help, comments, and criticism. I appreciate the advise I get, but mocking me by asking rhetorical questions is going to piss me off, I'm going to leave and ultimately it's going to hurt the fish. If you guys want to be a$$holes, go right ahead, I'll never be back. If you guys want to help, give advise, I'm more than willing to take it. I'm an animal lover, I want the best for my pets, that's why I'm here.

I came here first, got advise. Went to a pet store. They told me it was the best fish for the situation. On the price tag there was listed a "minimum aquarium size" for the fish. An angel listed minimum as 30 gallons, which most were saying was my best bet given the situation. On the Jack Dempsey it said 20 gallon minimum. What would any logical person have done given the situation? I bought the fish, came home, read up on them, and came back here for an update and more advise. As a result I get, "You put a Jack Dempsey in a 20 gallon tanks........?"

He's 2 inches long, if that. I don't think I'm killing him just yet. So go ahead and bash me, ban me, or help me, it's your call.
I dont care if you ever come back or not, all I care about is your fish. You wanted help and advice and you got it, just not the kind you wanted to hear. You say you are an "Animal Lover". Then how come you cant understand that the fish you have is way too large for such a small tank. And to blame the fish store especially now that you know its wrong, is pointless. I guess you have learned a big lesson in fishkeeping:Dont be so naive as to trust everyword your lfs says. They are there to make money, we are here to help with your fish. You came here for advice, we told you your tank is too small. Dont throw a hissy fit and curse at people. You wont do well on this site anyway with your attitiude towards fishkeeping. Good luck to your JD.

Drew

breathe a little bro, I know whewre you are comming from. everyone starts somewhere... including all the people on this forum, helpful or not.

anyway continuing on from my lats post (end of page 1) time is the factor here... people somtime don't understand that you've got a 2, not 10, inch fish... and maybe in 3-4 years it could be 10" but really now, given you information, you made a responsible choice... not to say that it won't come with consequences... but hey, live and learn... we've all gotten bad advice from a LFS

also.... theres one in every bunch.... don't worry about it..

breathe a little bro, I know whewre you are comming from. everyone starts somewhere... including all the people on this forum, helpful or not.

anyway continuing on from my lats post (end of page 1) time is the factor here... people somtime don't understand that you've got a 2, not 10, inch fish... and maybe in 3-4 years it could be 10" but really now, given you information, you made a responsible choice... not to say that it won't come with consequences... but hey, live and learn... we've all gotten bad advice from a LFS

also.... theres one in every bunch.... don't worry about it..
I understand what you are saying but that 2 inch fish needs more room so it can grow to be a healthy 10 inch fish. Everyone does start somewhere, yes I could have been more polite. I chose not to be as he chose to curse at everyone.

Drew

It won't eat grown guppies but my Dwarf Gourami has just munched it's way through the whole of the first batch of fry my first guppy has just dropped...much to my disappointment...so I'd recommend a feww Gourami to keen the numbers even.

yeah, I guess.... but still, the LFS had it rated for 20G's..... anyone could have bought into that, not knowing JD's personally....i'd say if the JD stays at like 6 inches(which apparently some of the Females do....) then it would be workable.... but really you should be looking into a bigger tank if you want to keep this fish permenantly...I'd say a 50G would do the trick........

It won't eat grown guppies but my Dwarf Gourami has just munched it's way through the whole of the first batch of fry my first guppy has just dropped...much to my disappointment...so I'd recommend a feww Gourami to keen the numbers even.

Seeee, a perfect fish for ur 20 gal! :D

the gourami is probably a decent Idea... but instead of the dwarf (2-2.5") i' go with a blue 3 spot(4") or a golden (6") A bit bigger, A bit more munching power....

A JD... won't eat Guppys.... well I beg to differ... lol.... anyway, the gourami is probably a decent Idea... but instead of the dwarf (2-2.5") i' go with a blue 3 spot(4") or a golden (6")
lol, I think that person meant the gourami they were talking about wont eat the mature guppys? :unsure:

Drew

hahahahaha... oops.....I'll just take that out now..... omg I need some sleep...

I thought they meant substituting a DG for the JD because it probably wouldn't eat them.... hahahaha!

Most reactions

Back