Maintaining A Healthy Amazon Sword

Sasha

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
In the past, I've always had trouble keeping Amazon Swords alive and in good health. Last week, I bought a huge Amazon Sword at my LFS, so I want to try to keep this plant healthy and in good shape. :nod:

The tank is 46 gallons, with a 2 x 96 watt fluorescent light giving the tank 4.1 wpg. I ordered laterite already (it should arrive tomorrow), and I'm also thinking about getting a CO2 system to supply the tank with a steady amount of carbon dioxide.

Do I need to add any liquid fertilizers or root tabs as well? Is there anything else required to maintain a good, healthy Amazon Sword? :unsure:

Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Root ferts. At that light level you must add co2 or algae will be your best plant. I run 72w of power compacts over my 45 and dose excel.

Thanks. :)

Is there enough nutrients in the latrite or will it require additional root fertilizers?

I'm going to get a CO2 system soon, since the light level in the tank is so high and the plants would benefit from CO2.

co2 is the answer here......i acually had my sword propogate once.....

Attachments

• planted_tank.JPG
    planted_tank.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 28
Hi

Swords can be problematic plants largely because they are major bulk root feeders and prefer to get their nutrients from the substrate. I've often found that despite an apparently appropriate substrate, they will flourish initially before dying off. Even with plant-specific substrates, particularly those dominated by a laterite component (such a Flourite) other vital nutrients can be lacking, especially where such substrates are not mature with a build up organic material. It is worth bearing in mind that, despite the popular belief such substrates have a high cation exchange capacity, by definition laterites are dominated by iron and aluminium oxides with some silica and intrinsically lack many of the other nurtients desired by our plants (although organic material and any clays present in the laterite will have a high CEC and may bind nutrients that could become available for consumption by the root feeders). On this basis, I would never rely on such a substrate to provide everything I need to get the best from root feeders such as Swords and Crypts, particularly where the substrate is quite immature (in my view <1 yr old). I use Ferka Rosetta and get excellent results with Swords and Crpyts as a result. If you can't get these Seachem's root tablets are an alternative. The other thing they like is good, stong light.

Good luck

Nick

Most plants store nutrients, especially healthy swords. As a result they normally do well initially in a new tank that lacks ferts, however, they burn through their stored supply and then start to suffer and even die off.

I am too cheap to pay the price for tank ferts and have always used Jobe's fertilizer spikes. Their Fern & Palm ones are the best choice with the House Plant ones being next best, You can cut them to desired size and should add them about every 3 months.

I believe root ferts and alkaline moderately hard water is the answer. I started with one plant and have since split it into three and remove at least 15 leaves between them each week. This is on a non CO2 tank with 1WPG.

Ps: and they are each around 10" wide now.

I am guesiing that youfind at first the plant is sinf then you will see brown patches before the leaf becomes transparant. This is a big problem with swords. The best is toensure they are getting enough light and goos substarte and you can try Esha Crypto that is ideal fro adding nutrients to the water. It is used for melting crypt syndrome!! but you will see a big improvment in almost all plants that are bruising. the water being acidity can be a key as well

I am guesiing that youfind at first the plant is sinf then you will see brown patches before the leaf becomes transparant. This is a big problem with swords. The best is toensure they are getting enough light and goos substarte and you can try Esha Crypto that is ideal fro adding nutrients to the water. It is used for melting crypt syndrome!! but you will see a big improvment in almost all plants that are bruising. the water being acidity can be a key as well

sorry for very bad typing and spelling :no:

Most reactions

Back