Maidenhead Aquatics - Bold Heath

§tudz

A True Oddball
Reaction score
hi,

well in my prvious thread I talked about going to BAS in Bolton and after being told I should go check out Maidenhead Aquatics in Bold Heath, by JackoUK I did :)

I am SO glad I did, I have been after a few more large clown loaches to go with my current one, but they are currently out of season and I've only seen them to a max of about 2-3" over the last 6 months or longer.
When I entered the store I saw their huge display tank with arrowanas, clown loaches and a few other species in, and they looked great, I knew the Silver Arrowanas were for sale (for £50) and wonder if their clown loaches were as they had some nice big ones. When I asked I was told that they werent. I was dissapointed but could understand why, and then the assistant perked up and said OH! we have some LARGE CLs down the back, so I followed him, and in a tank I had missed (As it was covered with a board) were 3 big CLs, they were about 8-9" long, a little skinny but that is soon sorted :)

I bought all 3 and for a bargin price of £20 each, at that size I've seen them sell for £30-£50, so what a steal.

They had a lot of nice L no's and a lot of cichlids, but aparts from that nothing that really took my fancy.

now what make this an ODDBALLs thread, well I'm still seeking a Wide Bar Siamese Tiger fish (D. pulcher) if anyone knows any where they stocks these fish could you pm me with details. I'm looking for one about 4-6" in lenght.

On the same line after speaking to a guy as BAS he said he thinks that Pulcher maybe a colour morph and not a seperate species of D. micropelis, but I'm not convinved, their body shapes are different, not just the markings.

hey mate, thats my best lfs, i love it, spend hours in there. the staff are so friendly and helpful, because not one of them doesnt keep fish themselves. ive bought khuli loaches, BN's, and shrimps from there. this is how friendly they were, i got a 3 1/2 inch BN for £3. the same price as the babys. and had a long chat with one of the blokes that works there.i find the shop cheap for fish, but not for other things such as substrate and tank backing etc.
all in all though its well worth a visit if people live within driving distance. infact, im goin to go up now lol. :good:

pulchers are diffrent to indos

they come from a diffrent area for a start

you will be lucky to find any pulchers any more even places like singapore who used to have loads dont have them anymore

small pulchers are imposabble to find you may get a indo /pulcher look alike if you are lucky

un less you know your tigers very very well dont think you have a pulcher just because it has pulcher stripes

pulchers are diffrent to indos

they come from a diffrent area for a start

you will be lucky to find any pulchers any more even places like singapore who used to have loads dont have them anymore

small pulchers are imposabble to find you may get a indo /pulcher look alike if you are lucky

un less you know your tigers very very well dont think you have a pulcher just because it has pulcher stripes

what do you mean indos? I dont know what species you are refering to, as I only know:
  • Datnioides campbelli - New Guinea Tigerfish
  • Datnioides microlepis - Siamese Tigerfish
  • Datnioides pulcher - Wide bar tigerfish
  • Datnioides quadrifasciatus - Silver Tigerfish
  • Datnioides undecimradiatus - Thin bar Tigerfish
I know Pulcher is rare and that the Thin Bar and microplepis are the more commonly found, followed by the silver. BUT BAS say they do get Pulcher in from time to time, although they do stock the others more often.

I may be able to get one directly from an importer but I'll have to wait and see.

As for Maidenhead in Widnes they seemed to have normal pricing for everything apart from most of the fish which were a little on the pricey side, although they did have some bargins there too, I'd definatly go again, but my next trip out to a fish shop will be some where else. I just need to find the next victim, I mean place to go see.

Datnioides campbelli - New Guinea Tigerfish = NGT
Datnioides microlepis - Siamese Tigerfish = indo tiger as they come from indonesia IT
Datnioides pulcher - Wide bar tigerfish = the true siamese tiger as they come from siam/thialand ST
Datnioides quadrifasciatus - Silver Tigerfish
Datnioides undecimradiatus - Thin bar Tigerfish = NTT north thia tiger as they come from north thialand

THE body shape it diffrent on a indo compaired to a pulcher indos also get biger 24inch

the pulcher has a much deeper body shape compaired to the indo

BAS may tell you they get pulchers from time to time but ask them when the last time they had them was things have changed in the last year they are near impossable to find hear in the UK now

people will try to sell you indos as pulchers as it takes alot of experiance to spot a good pulcher

their are also a lot of indos with pulcher stripe paturns just because it looks like a wide bar doesnt mean it is unless you know what to look for

Ah! ok, thanks for the information.

I need something for the top-middle levels of the tank, so apart from the Dats any ideas on something else?

I've currently got the following in the tank:

- Synodontis Ocellifer
- Clownloaches
- polypterus x 3
- fire eel
- golden nugget plec
- L001
- Channa gachua

I want something active and not easily spooked, but still in the realms of Oddballs, and not butterfly fish

I have been thinking about an oscar, but some people have said no, it'll eat the smaller tank mates, and other say they have one and its fine.

hey mate, thats my best lfs, i love it, spend hours in there. the staff are so friendly and helpful, because not one of them doesnt keep fish themselves. ive bought khuli loaches, BN's, and shrimps from there. this is how friendly they were, i got a 3 1/2 inch BN for £3. the same price as the babys. and had a long chat with one of the blokes that works there.i find the shop cheap for fish, but not for other things such as substrate and tank backing etc.
all in all though its well worth a visit if people live within driving distance. infact, im goin to go up now lol. :good:

They are very friendly there indeed. I was there this morning myself, only to get some more water conditioner but I still always have a look at the fish. I've probably got over 60% of all my fish from there. :)

Great to hear you made it to Bold Heath §tudz and i'm glad you got some large Clowns that you were after. Those display tanks at the bottom are sometimes covered by the boards and have some really decent sized fish in them. 8)

lol, they had a hand of BIG oddball catfish when I went around £200+ some were nice, but outta my price range.

Any way, now where should I go next, I'm looking for a decent size (large) place to visit, distance isnt too much of a prob, as long as its not over 2 hours from me :rolleyes:

and maybe some suggestions on my next fish, I'm looking for a large-ish top level fish, preferably oddball or large charachin, something to add some life to my new tank, I have decided not to get the tugerfish now, as I'm gonna be hard pushed to get a Pulcher and I dont want any of the others.
I want something bold and striking and not shy, and possibly ok to live with an Oscar.

Have you been to Clearwater Aquatics at the Wyvale garden centre in Tarporley?? Also Moreton Park garden centre near Oswestry has a nice aquatic section including some hugely overpriced marines :crazy: .

Clearwater currently has some oddballs in stock incuding Knife fish, Elephant nose, a small Arowana, Senegal birchirs, some cute puffers and the cutest baby oscars ever!

There is also a gorgeous Clarias cat and some really sweet Pacu's.

(Yes I work at Clearwater :blush: To be honest I was never all that impressed with the variety they had but lately the manager has been ordering some more unusual fish and I can personally vouch for the quality of the fish.)

Have you been to Clearwater Aquatics at the Wyvale garden centre in Tarporley?? Also Moreton Park garden centre near Oswestry has a nice aquatic section including some hugely overpriced marines :crazy: .

Clearwater currently has some oddballs in stock incuding Knife fish, Elephant nose, a small Arowana, Senegal birchirs, some cute puffers and the cutest baby oscars ever!

There is also a gorgeous Clarias cat and some really sweet Pacu's.

(Yes I work at Clearwater :blush: To be honest I was never all that impressed with the variety they had but lately the manager has been ordering some more unusual fish and I can personally vouch for the quality of the fish.)

Moreton Garden Centre is my fav' place to go, I sell my baby corydora trilineatus to them, and also spend about £50+ everytime I go.
I think I will come and have a look at clear waters, pm me the address and I'll come :) Are you working on sunday?

I sure am. I'll be the only female staff member on the fishy side so be sure to say hello!!

I'll pm the address now.

It's on the PFK store directory by the way :good:

I sure am. I'll be the only female staff member on the fishy side so be sure to say hello!!

I'll pm the address now.

It's on the PFK store directory by the way :good:

its a date :) I'll see you then, well except the gf will be with me, but she can look at the goldfish and you can show me proper fishies lol

haha ok. The goldfish are right next to the tortoise house...could end up an expensive trip once she see's the baby tortoises :wub:

Most reactions

Back