Lump On Side Of Fish?

Apparently my previous advice and comments were inappropriate. You're quite right afremont, taking an ill fish to the shop wouldn't work. Good luck with the poorly fish!

Apparently my previous advice and comments were inappropriate. You're quite right afremont, taking an ill fish to the shop wouldn't work. Good luck with the poorly fish!

I apologize, I shouldn't have gone off on you like that as it didn't help anyone. I'm also having a really off day when it comes to communicating using sarcasm without being offensive. ;) But they do seem to only want the fish back dead within the time limit rather than in time to help it. :(

EDIT: To expand on where I'm coming from, I really feel that, often, the most humane thing is to not subject the fish to the stress of taking it back as that more often than not just pushes a really sick fish over the edge. I believe that the owner tends to be the only person that is willing to do what it takes to care for the fish, even if they aren't the most qualified. With guidance from people such as yourself, a newbie might be able to bring it back from the brink. The combined expertise here has to exceed by far that of any LFS. I know of one angelfish that is still alive today, weeks later, after the owner was advised to rehome or euthanize even though the owner was terrified of treating the fish. It's still not exactly healthy, but it's still alive and improving after being to the point of panting on the tank floor. I think we all know what that usually leads to.

Sadly, rehoming a sick fish is pretty much a pipe dream. It sounds like the thing to do, but actually finding someone willing to take a sick fish is pretty hard, especially when they might be putting more fish at risk. I'm one of those people that will take a sick fish, but I have two sets of tanks that don't share anything. I have my "show" fish and I have my fighters and survivors upstairs. I'm constantly worried that I will somehow contaminate my downstairs tanks, but I hate to see other fish needlessly die if they can be helped. I guess I'm like this because I like to fix things and I managed to bring our first fish back from the brink of fish-ignorance even though most would euthanize a fish that is panting and sitting on the floor. They're happy fish now and I'm glad I made the effort rather than try to wash my hands of the problem.

I apologize, I shouldn't have gone off on you like that as it didn't help anyone. I'm also having a really off day when it comes to communicating using sarcasm without being offensive. ;) But they do seem to only want the fish back dead within the time limit rather than in time to help it. :(

EDIT: To expand on where I'm coming from, I really feel that, often, the most humane thing is to not subject the fish to the stress of taking it back as that more often than not just pushes a really sick fish over the edge. I believe that the owner tends to be the only person that is willing to do what it takes to care for the fish, even if they aren't the most qualified. With guidance from people such as yourself, a newbie might be able to bring it back from the brink. The combined expertise here has to exceed by far that of any LFS. I know of one angelfish that is still alive today, weeks later, after the owner was advised to rehome or euthanize even though the owner was terrified of treating the fish. It's still not exactly healthy, but it's still alive and improving after being to the point of panting on the tank floor. I think we all know what that usually leads to.

Sadly, rehoming a sick fish is pretty much a pipe dream. It sounds like the thing to do, but actually finding someone willing to take a sick fish is pretty hard, especially when they might be putting more fish at risk. I'm one of those people that will take a sick fish, but I have two sets of tanks that don't share anything. I have my "show" fish and I have my fighters and survivors upstairs. I'm constantly worried that I will somehow contaminate my downstairs tanks, but I hate to see other fish needlessly die if they can be helped. I guess I'm like this because I like to fix things and I managed to bring our first fish back from the brink of fish-ignorance even though most would euthanize a fish that is panting and sitting on the floor. They're happy fish now and I'm glad I made the effort rather than try to wash my hands of the problem.

No need to apologise. My problem is that I'm constantly worried about an ill fish infecting my whole tank, as I've only got the one. I wouldn't want to be euthanising fish if and when they can be cured or helped but advice often seems to say remove the fish before others become ill. I'm very pleased to hear about the fish you've helped and thanks for that!

No need to apologise. My problem is that I'm constantly worried about an ill fish infecting my whole tank, as I've only got the one. I wouldn't want to be euthanising fish if and when they can be cured or helped but advice often seems to say remove the fish before others become ill. I'm very pleased to hear about the fish you've helped and thanks for that!

Believe me, I've harmed my share of fish. I'd just like to try and help a few now. You don't really have to have a glass hospital tank, you could get some kind of food grade storage tub with a lid and store a heater, a small bubbler, a new net, and some cheap fake plants with weighted bottoms like petsmart sells for cheap. You can keep your meds in there too so they don't get wet or misplaced. Just put it in a closet and hope you never need it, but feel good about being prepared. The heater will not melt the plastic as long as there is water covering it. If you really want to be ready toss in a clean one gallon ice cream bucket to use for dips.

Most reactions

Back