Lots Of Changes Coming - Could Use Some Input

Jenste

Resurrecting the Passion of Fishkeeping
Reaction score
Hey guys!!! Well a lot is going on for Jenste!!!

Getting married in 6 weeks as of tomorrow and we are going to be putting a bid in on our first house :hyper:

Ok... so a question for the ladies on the forum - -

I have never had fake nails and have only painted my toenails... Will having acrylic nails and nail polish hurt my tank when my hands go in for maintenance and feeding? I will be getting my nails done for the wedding and have been worrying about this but can't find any research on the matter - didn't really expect any to be honest.

so I am wondering if any of the ladies here have fake nails and if they have ever had troubles with their tanks as a result?

Secondly - I am dreading moving tanks again. Last time we moved it was not so bad, the largest tank I had was a 29 gallon bow. This time around I will be moving from the current apartment to a house, and transporting my 72 gallon bow, 29 gallon bow, and a bunch of ten gallons. The inhabitants include 13-16 ACF of varying ages/sizes (am currently babysitting 3 ACF while the owner gets the tank repaired), 2 axolotls, 2 goldfish, and 2 plecs. That is going to be a head ache!!!

I planned on setting up large plastic bins with aerators in the new house, letting them settle and get to the right temp then going back and forth bringing the critters over to wait in the bins. Then going back to the apartment, draining the tanks and moving them over to the new house, resetting them back up, filling them and letting them settle. I suspect the stock will be waiting in the bins for about 4-6 hours. Is this terrible or am I just over worrying?

6 weeks huh? Are you feeling nervous yet? :unsure: :lol: :lol:

As for the nails issue, once the acrylic sets which is pretty much straight away, it`s rock hard and there shouldn`t be any 'fumes' or chemicals coming off them. I had acrylics when I got married but we didn`t have the fish tanks then but I`m sure they`ll be fine, I bet there`s loads of women out there who have acrylics and look after fish tanks. If you`re really concerned about it, make a point of keeping your hands out of the tanks for the first couple of days after having your nails done :good:

Regarding the containers when you move......4-6 hours should be fine, my fish spent about that time in buckets when I upgraded my tank so I should imagine your ACF and plecs etc will be ok :good:

Stop worrying and stressing, you`ll be fine!! :lol: Congrats on the house situation too :good:

i knew Lisa would answer this!! :lol: :lol:

Thanks Elise!

Not worried at all about the wedding! Or if I am its showing itself through extra house cleaning, water changes, and planning the tank moves lol.

We were debating out sanity due to doing it all at once..wedding and moving, but with the market like it is now, houses are sooo cheap! And the market has a way of seesawing so we figured we would jump on it while we could, even with paying for the wedding ourselves our finances are all good.

(watch for posts in about 2 months wondering wt* we were thinking!!!)

Congrats on your up and coming wedding and new home - I hope it all goes smoothly for you! :good:

When I upgraded my tank to a larger one I put my fish and plants in a huge builders tub from a DIY store (they are cheap) and ran my filter and heater in that. If you do that you can unplug the filter and heater at the last minute to transport them and as soon as you get to the new place plug everything back in. This way you can de- tank them the day before the move and take as much time as you need getting the tank ready for them in the new place as im sure you will have plenty to do! :lol:

i knew Lisa would answer this!! :lol: :lol:

;) :lol: :lol:

Thanks Elise!

Not worried at all about the wedding! Or if I am its showing itself through extra house cleaning, water changes, and planning the tank moves lol.

We were debating out sanity due to doing it all at once..wedding and moving, but with the market like it is now, houses are sooo cheap! And the market has a way of seesawing so we figured we would jump on it while we could, even with paying for the wedding ourselves our finances are all good.

(watch for posts in about 2 months wondering wt* we were thinking!!!)

The way house prices have gone, you`d be mad not to look at getting yourself on that ladder. You sound a lot calmer than I was 6 weeks before I got married, poor hubby was having his ear chewed about making sure everything was perfectly planned.......hmm, hang on....nothing has changed! :lol: :lol:

I`m sure everything with the wedding and the house will go fantastically well for you. :good:

Congratulations on the wedding and new home!

I sometimes use nail varnish for special occasions. I wait 24 hours after applying it before putting hands in tanks just in case. I have done water changes with varnished nails several times, no harmful effect on fish though I can't say the same about nails afet a grav vac!

Most reactions

Back