Lost Another Platy

Yet another one this morning, dead on the bottom. Hi-fin again, a lovely red female - she was gorgeous. So now all I have left is the 4 'regular' Platys. Will see what happens in a few days ? Fingers crossed nothing.

Have you tried any meds?

No not yet Barry - as it's only 'one at a time' so to speak its difficult knowing what to treat. As I say there's no obvious signs of anything ie spots, fungus etc., The individual will suddenly become shy & hide away in the plants for a few days, near the surface - then one morning it's dead :sad: . The other fish are fine including the remaining Platys.

So far so good with the remaining girls, they look okay up to now :good:

You mentioned that they were fat but had no babies. It seems too coincidental that they all died trying to give birth.
Thats why i mentioned swim bladder disorder or dropsy.
If they were pregnant then the lower half gets squared off - i think thats the correct term.
With swim bladder disorder or dropsy they acutually balloon up. Also, when looking down on the fish from above it will appear much widr than if it was pregnant. With dropsy, the scales can also lift up like a pine cone.
Fingers crossed!

i had the same thing happening about 2 weeks ago (lost 10 fish in about a month) my probelem ended up being dead plant matter clogged up the cloth of my filters check them and see if the look "horrible" and possibly change them if need be. solved me problem

I will stick with my original suggestion, call me stubborn if you wish, do a big water change, not some wimpy 30% one, and change the diet to another staple food. We all know full well that the readings you have given are right for the nitrogen cycle. What do you know about the few hundreds of other organic and inorganic chemicals in your water? I know enough to know that I really have no clue in my own tanks and that sometimes a huge water change helps when all else looks good.

My four remaining Platys are still doing fine, so it was just the hi-fin variety.

I will stick with my original suggestion, call me stubborn if you wish, do a big water change, not some wimpy 30% one, and change the diet to another staple food. We all know full well that the readings you have given are right for the nitrogen cycle. What do you know about the few hundreds of other organic and inorganic chemicals in your water? I know enough to know that I really have no clue in my own tanks and that sometimes a huge water change helps when all else looks good.

I know nothing at all about the other stuff apart from like you say the nitrogen cycle & ph's.

HI, how are your platys doing?

Hi thanks for concern - the remaining four are doing great. I spotted a tiny fry in the weeds yesterday - so cute. So things are good - touch wood.

Sounds good!
I currently have a regular platy (the one in my signature, actually) who just seems to hang around the surface. Not bloated, but just inactive, clamped fins and she's also getting thinner, but still very friendly and eating. Very strange :blink:
Anyway, I hope that your remaining platies are alright :) Maybe just a problem with the hi-fin variety?

There should not be any problem with a platy having the high fin gene vs. any other platy as far as hardiness FighterFish. If all are doing well, that is good news. Fry are always fun to find. Right now I have some albino BN pleco fry showing up in my endler tank and I just love the cute little things hanging around clinging to the tank glass. For me it is no different to the thrill I get when one of my livebearers drops some fry. All fry are always welcome in my tanks. For me the challenge is keeping the new fry healthy and growing. Simply providing adequate cover and feeding almost any food of an appropriate size will work for any typical livebearers. I wish things were that easy for newly hatched plecos.

Most reactions

Back