Loss Of Fish

aldaleel

Reaction score
Last saturday I bought some fish and introduced them to my tank. Whenever I introduce new fish I do by fish net thereby avoiding putting any water from the shop into the tank. Since than I have lost 12 fish, some of my very prized fish. No outward sign of any illness, stress or anything. One moment they are swimming fine and the next they are gone. I am very upset about it. Anyone knows what happened? Could I have introduced a bug or bacteria when transferring the new fish which attacked and killed my existing fish. I has not lost any fish before this for over 4 months and some of these fish were in my tank for over 2 to 3 years.

Well to be honest i'm stumped, if you do not get a response from somebody who knows what they are talking about you should re-post this in the emergencies section, you are more likely to get help there. The only advice i can give is make sure the water quality is top notch and watch the fish like a hawk for anything unusual you may see. Sorry for being so useless, i just didnt want you to get no responses but like i say, take this to the emergencies section.

Size of tank in gallons or litres please?
How many fish and which type?
Can you please post your water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph?
How long do you climitize the new fish for?

Tank is 200 litres, total fish 30 mostly small fish like neons, Halequins, Panqusis, Kissing gouramis, Clown loach, Pakistani loach, 3 angels. 3 suckers, silver shark, redtail shark

New fish I climatise for about 30 minutes with the bag in teh water and than transfer them to the tank, havent had any problem previously.

water stats were OK last saturday when I checked them, nitrtie and nitrates were normal. Checked them home with strips but once a month take the water to a shop for check

When you climatize the new fish do you add any water from your tank to the bag.
Always check your bag water for temp, and ph. This than gives you a good indication on how long to climatize the new fish for.

Red tailed sharks can eat small fish, are very aggressive.
Clown loaches need to be kept in at least a group of 3, also silver sharks like to be kept in groups. As the grow bigger need at least a 75 to 100 gallon tank.

I would advise buying an isolation tank which also double up as a hospital tank.
New fish can be fetching disease into a tank, and putting the whole tank at risk.

To be honest your tank looks abit on the overstocked side to me.

Kissing Gourami's will also grow to large :good: Watch out for aggression between the angels to.

Keep an eye on the red tailed shark that he not picking off smaller fish.

It's sound like the fish you bought fetched a disease into the tank. Without any symptoms being shown before death. It's hard to say really what caused there deaths.

:rip:

Keep an eye on the red tailed shark that he not picking off smaller fish.

It's sound like the fish you bought fetched a disease into the tank. Without any symptoms being shown before death. It's hard to say really what caused there deaths.

:rip:

The red tail fish has grown quite a bit since I bought it, but swims quite normally, I have never seen it attacking smaller fishes.
What do you think is the right number of fish for this size tank.

Before buying fish maybe do some research for tank size, adult size, compatibility. As not all LFS tell you the truth about the fish you are purchasing.
Rough guide is one inch of fish to one gallon of water.

Good Luck.

Clown loaches, RTBS, and silver sharks get too big for a 200L tank imo. The RTBS would sometimes be okay in a 200L, but I wouldn't keep it with any docile fish. I would guess it is most likely RTBS. I had one in the past, and in my experience, they can just 'switch on' out of the blue and attack everything that they can. They don't usually eat other fish, but the fish they target eventually die from stress, etc. They generally don't get along with other 'shark' species either, but usually don't bother loaches for some reason. But regardless, the silver shark and clown loach will get way too big for your tank, and both of those fish need to be kept in groups anyways.

Most reactions

Back