Fishaholic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
download_20161013_083826.jpg
20161013_074842.jpg
20161013_074849.jpg
20161013_074842.jpg
20161013_074849.jpg
have been losing a Cory almost every day, Pearl had this white stuff around its mouth this morning. ..

Petco has had tanks blacked out know for over a week, we bought some out of them tanks the day before they blacked them out... have told them about the fish but they haven't said much. The wife is on her way there now.

The corys acted fine until they died overnight. Other than the white stuff around the pearls mouth there hasn't been any visible signs of anything.

20161013_103053.jpg
they sent her home with this, will the salt kill my plants?

Wife said a fish died before her eyes in petco in one of the tanks that wasn't blacked out with the same fungus. ..

I really miss the small shops...

How many gallons is the tank please?
How many fish and which type?
Can you post your water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.

White fungus on the mouth is Columnaris.
Any signs of the mouth rotting away?
You will need to treat with a bacterial medication. What is your location please. To help you with which medication to buy.

When using medications increase aeration. I would also advise lowering the temp so the bacteria does not multiply so fast.

some info.

COLUMNARIS

The hospital tank should be heated to approx. 74 degrees. 76 and above is the ideal breeding temperature for columnaris. Though there is some dispute over lowering the temperature, my experience has been that 72 is too low for the medication to work rapidly, 76+ causes the disease to breed more rapidly than the anti-biotic can kill, and 74 is "just right." Remember to keep this temperature stable!

Text © Lauren Weeks

Maracyn a good product for Columnaris. But it will wipe the beneifical bacteria out in your filter.
Maracyn, Maracyn 2, Maracyn Plus.

http://nippyfish.net/sick-betta/cotton-wool-disease-flex/

Last edited:
I'm in oklahoma.

It's a 55g, ammonia 0, nitrates 0, nitrates under 20, the pH is almost 8.

Still got one opaline gourami, two small angels, two guppies, three small turquoise rainbows about the size of the Guppies, got three corys, have lost five in the last week.

Lost a larger female rainbow this week also, but the male I had in there chased her too much, he had already chased the two other males I'd bought with him to death

The pearl looked fine yesterday, was eating good, was pretty much the tank boss and the biggest fish in the tank. I don't think it's lips were ate away.

The corys didn't have anything on them...

How long had you had the Corys or any new fish?
How long did you climatise the new fish for?
Water quality very good so can rule that out at this point.

If there no signs of parasites, signs of gaspings, flicking and rubbing, excess mucas it sounds like the fish could have fetched a bacterial infections into the tank.

Do any fish look pale, or have excess mucas on there body, fins, or gills?
Do there barbels on the Corys looks thin and short?
Do any fish look thin or bloated?
Do any fish act listless and lethargic?

Salt does harm plants. Also Corys don't tolerate it to well.

Sorry for your losses. R.I.P.

Last edited:
All the fish left look and act fine, it been a week or so since I've added new fish. They were the turquoise rainbows, bought two the first day and one of them was on the bottom of the bag when we got home with them, about ten minutes from petco. Got two more the next day that are doing fine.

The Coreys and pearl had been in there since right after the tank cycled, around a month or so.

Im pretty sure it came in with one of the last fish from petco.

I just hope I don't get it in all three tanks... I pinched of a few Wisteria leaves out of the 55 yesterday and tossed them into 10 to root and cleaned the glass on both sides. Pulled the aggressive rainbow out of the 55 and put it in the 40 just after I got the turquoise.

I put a half dose of salt in my 10 and 55 that have plants and a full dose in my 40 and use the kordon rid fungus petco sent home with the wife.

Think if I lose another fish out of the 55 I'm bagging all of them and taking credit for them at petco, they tried to say it would be clear in a week....

I would preform some daily water changes for now.
Make sure you sterilize equipment after use.
If you start to lose anymore fish don't hesitate to post.

Good Luck.

20161013_074911.jpg
a better picture from the wifes phone. Could this be an injury from chasing the Cory cats

If you mean the bleached white patch on the gill and below it can also be a sign of Columanaris.

Just really hopping and wishing it aint...

Have you lowered the temp?
How are the fish doing today?

Yes I've lowered the temp to 75 or so, my two thermometer read 10 degrees difference...

The fish are doing good, nothing on any of them.

Picked up a UV sterilizer today, gonna see what happens.

:)Glad to hear that.

20161203_145656.jpg
oh man... got turquoise and boesemani rainbow with white stuff around their mouth...

It's been three days, no other cheap fish have it, haven't lost any. The rainbows are still trying to spawn every morning.

Have been using pimafix, my water is 0-0-40. Nitrates about the same as what comes out of the tap...

Only on my favorite fish...

20161207_102813.jpg
everyone is still kicking, no more fuzz, lips still just slightly discolored.

I did a very strong salt swab with q tips and a short bath in some blue.

I think this started after one of the angle fist got aggressive, and they were already low in their pecking order.

Most reactions

Back