Loseing Fry!

AquaQueen

Reaction score
Well I'm now down from 14 to 7. One is still really tiny, about this big -----. he is really skinny too. I have watched him eat and he usually spits it back out. And my others are about this big --------. One of my biggest fry can't seem to swim much anymore and after using the energy to get up and eat, will usually lay on some plants. I don't think he will make it either. The rest seem to be doing great. All of my lvls are perfect. Just checked them. Guess I had a bad batch of fry. -_-

Nep

are they guppy fry? don't worry if you lose some it happens and you will have some more fry in another 4 weeks

Check ammonnia and nitrite levels as fry are sensitive to high levels of these, which i had found out. If it's guppy fry then it could be a faulty batch.

How old are they just of interest?

Yes, they are about 5 to 6 weeks old now. They are Platys. I just lost another little guy and now my biggest one is dying. Their little tails seem to be bent to the side when they die, like they have trouble swimming? Is that a defect or something I did wrong?

Plus, when I bought the mama fish she was pregnant.

Checked the amonia and nitrite and those are fine.

I just don't get it. :(

Nep

Platties, hmm... I would suggest you feed them 2 times a day but give them something else then flake food, like blood worms or something of that sort. The temperature of the tank could be affecting them. I have now ran out of ideas because I am not there to see the conditions of your tank or witness it.

AquaQueen said:
Yes, they are about 5 to 6 weeks old now. They are Platys. I just lost another little guy and now my biggest one is dying. Their little tails seem to be bent to the side when they die, like they have trouble swimming? Is that a defect or something I did wrong?

Plus, when I bought the mama fish she was pregnant.

Checked the amonia and nitrite and those are fine.

I just don't get it. :(

Nep
Is it possible the mother was subjected to high ammonia or nitrite when she was pregnant? Poor water quality can cause genetic damage of the young.

Water temp is 80 degrees F.

Since I got her as an adult who knows what she could have been subjected too while pregnant. She had babies two days after I bought her.

I just want to thank you all for your advice. I just hope I get to keep a couple babies! Looks like I might be down to 4 I get to keep. Still have one more little one besides the big one that doesn't look good.

The rest all look great!

Nep

Most reactions

Back