Looks Like Rust

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

adambrum

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i have just got back after 10 days away and i have developed what looks like rust on the filter intake and on the spray bar does anybody know what this could be .

Sounds like Diatoms (brown algae)

is it any thing to worry about , is there any way to prevent it

It doesn't look great but thats about it, normally occurs within a few months of a tank being setup. There is some debate about whether it thrives on light but last time i had it, i left the lights off for a week and it was completely gone. Of course, if you have live plants, this will not be an option.

thanks for that, it is on my new tank its been cycling now for 5 weeks i have to go away for another 2 weeks again so i will see what its like when i get back.

no i have an automatic feeder , after a quick read it maybe down to my tap water or the sand substrate or maybe its just going to pass on its own accord

DONE A BIT OF READING AND ITS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT, APPARENTLY IT CAN APPEAR IN A NEW TANK THIS THOUGHT TO BE PART OF THE CYCLING PROSESS IN THE FIRST 2-12 WEEKS DUE TO SILICATE WHICH CAN BE FROM THE TAP WATER SILCA SAND OR LEACHED FROM THE GLASS OF A NEW AQUAIRIUM,
THIS ALGE ALSO CAN GROW IN VERY LOW LIGHT CONDITION SO REDUCING LIGHTING PERIODS WILL NOT AFFECT THIS TYPE OF ALGE MUCH.

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE, ITS NOT NICE LEAVING YOUR TANK FOR 2 WEEKS THINKING YOU MAY HAVE A PROBLEM.

DONE A BIT OF READING AND ITS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT, APPARENTLY IT CAN APPEAR IN A NEW TANK THIS THOUGHT TO BE PART OF THE CYCLING PROSESS IN THE FIRST 2-12 WEEKS DUE TO SILICATE WHICH CAN BE FROM THE TAP WATER SILCA SAND OR LEACHED FROM THE GLASS OF A NEW AQUAIRIUM,
THIS ALGE ALSO CAN GROW IN VERY LOW LIGHT CONDITION SO REDUCING LIGHTING PERIODS WILL NOT AFFECT THIS TYPE OF ALGE MUCH.

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE, ITS NOT NICE LEAVING YOUR TANK FOR 2 WEEKS THINKING YOU MAY HAVE A PROBLEM.
That is correct.Once the Diatoms have used up all the availble silicates,it will die off.There are products on the market that remove silicates,but not cheap.Personally i wouldnt bother it should disapper soon :)

Most reactions

Back