Looking For Some Advice On A New Aquarium...

Nice tanks.i can't believe how much cheaper they are in the states.

Hi, those links just take you to a page with loads of tanks - which one's were you looking at?

I might be forced to shop for a new tank myself ... I heard what sounded like cracking glass coming from mine today and I'm currently waiting to see if my water starts going down

The link is not working for me but I purchased a 75 gallon MArineland Majesty kit at petsmart and I recommend it. Mine came with a double bright LED. Not sure if it was a mistake but the one in display was just a regular Marineland LED fixture.

Probably a good thing munroco.or mts would be upgraded to smts (severe).

Just opinions here, but wow are they over priced.
As for the Nat Geo tank. Not been real impressed with thier equipment. Even less impressed with thier ideas of fishkeeping.
Each of these tanks is a bit small. Unless for a Betta or a few guppies. And I would not recommend a 3.5 gal./13 litre is a bit small for a quarantine tank.
As for a qt. tank wait for one of the dollar a gallon sales and grab a 10gal./37 litre.

I can't afford a 10 gallon, and I don't have enough space in my house for it...

If I ever got a big fish like a Severum, yes, I would get another, bigger tank. But I have guppies and harlequins, a 3.5 is suitable for now.

Also, that's what I was wondering about National Geographic's tanks.

Not sure why the links aren't working. I'll get new ones.
http://m.petsmart.com/h5/hub?id=fish%2Faquariums%2Ftop-fin-aquascene-180-3.5-gallon-aquarium-zid36-17638%2Fcat-36-catid-300065%3Fvar_id%3D36-17638

http://m.petsmart.com/h5/hub?id=fish%2Faquariums%2Fmarineland-half-moon-desktop-aquarium-zid36-17296%2Fcat-36-catid-300065%3Fvar_id%3D36-17296

http://m.petsmart.com/h5/hub?id=fish%2Faquariums%2Ftop-fin-40-gallon-hooded-aquarium-zid36-17608%2Fcat-36-catid-300065%3Fvar_id%3D36-17608 (New)

http://m.petsmart.com/h5/hub?id=fish%2Faquariums%2Fmarineland-53-gallon-widescreen-ensemble-zid36-29356%2Fcat-36-catid-300065%3Fvar_id%3D36-29356 (New)

http://m.petsmart.com/h5/hub?id=fish%2Faquariums%2Faqueon-betta-falls-aquarium-zid36-27491%2Fcat-36-catid-300065%3Fvar_id%3D36-27491 (New)

Tell me what you think of the new ones. Also, I've been trying to figure out the basic prices of used 60 gallon aquariums, but I can't seem to find used but in good condition tanks.

perhaps the links arn't working because I'm in the U.K and to that end I'm probably not the best person to help you with this. Good luck with what ever you choose :)

Perhaps I missed something. But each of these tanks linked are well over the price of a ten gallon.
As well if you do not have room for a ten gallon why are links three and four for a 40 and 53 respectively? Also a good price on a used 60?

That aside, have not seen a good price on a tank that size, at least one that is not cracked, in my neck of the woods.

PepperjacksMama said:
Perhaps I missed something. But each of these tanks linked are well over the price of a ten gallon.
As well if you do not have room for a ten gallon why are links three and four for a 40 and 53 respectively? Also a good price on a used 60?
That aside, have not seen a good price on a tank that size, at least one that is not cracked, in my neck of the woods.
First. I have a very old dresser which my mother is INSISTING is where I need to put a quarantine tank. I certainly am NOT putting a 10 gallon tank there, since it's above my clothes, my mom's old dresser (which she has fond memories of since it reminds her of her dad), and most importantly, the floor.

Second. Any future 60 gallons will go in our entryway, as that would be nice there. But not any time in the NEAR future, as my family is out of money and in order to put a tank there, we would have to (1) level the floor, (2) hire an electrician to put an outlet there, and (3) convince my dad we need another tank.

Lastly, you keep mentioning that "the prices there are more expensive than a 10 gallon tank." I'm trying to figure out what price you've found 10 gallon tanks at... and where you found them for cheaper than the links there. :)

One final note... no, I am not getting angry at you, as the use of a few caps might make you think. :)

No worries.
I understand putting tanks on old furniture. Have done it many times. And yes the less water the better.

As for the price, well I am not fond of the packages, tank, hood, filter, et cetera. We each tend to develop our favorites as to lighting, filtration, heaters and such. But keep an eye out for yard sales and thrift stores.
If you were just down the road I have an empty 10 gallon I would happily give you.
As for an entryway tank. Floor leveling. Shims work. An outlet, an electrician is a wise idea. As for convincing your father. Sorry, can't help you there.

I will make the same observation...when you buy the complete package, you get what they include, which may be a nice aquarium, but poor lighting, or a crummy filter, inadequate heater...whatever.

One thing I like about Petsmart here is they sometimes have packages of just the tank and hood with light.  I just got another 29g yesterday with this deal.  I have my own heaters, and filters (I simply use sponge filters connected to an air pump on smaller tanks, below 40 gallons).  I may buy a fluorescent tube that is better, depending what comes with the package, but these usually have T8 fluorescent which is manageable with smaller tanks.  And this saves a bundle.

Byron.

Most reactions

Back