Looking for a Pair of Dwarf Cichlids

I forgot to mention that some cockatoo (esp the older ones) will not eat flake food. My females do (I got them very young), but my adult male will not eat it whatsoever. He waits for the brine shrimp, beef heart (all frozen, then thawed), or other meat type (he loves rinsed canned tuna fish! :lol: ) before he eats. If you get them young enough, or just condition them, you mmight be okay to only supplement with the meaty foods.

It's no problem to feed the fish some frozen meaty food. My lfs has a large selection of frozen treats. :)

Currently, I'm alternating between flakes and frozen cyclops for my tetras. They go nuts for the stuff and it really brings out their red color.

FoundMoney said:
Perhaps I overdid it a bit on the tetras. Maybe instead of 8 I should have gotten 6, ..........
Not at all! 8 is fine and depending on what else you decide to add you could even increase the number of flames IMO. I started with 8 neons in my 33gal cockatoo based community tank and later decided to get 8 more. With small tetras I think that the more the better (within reason of course) A big school looks great and makes for a more natural looking tank. The cichlids are the main feature anyway and having too many other species detracts from the look I think. Just my opinion.

Actually Griz, my original thoughts when first deciding to get a tank were pretty much along the same line as your tank. Dwarf cichlids as the main fish, a school of tetras, otos, corys and a bristlenose. Unfortunately, at first I thought I was going to get a 40 gallon but space and money were the limiting factors.

So are you not a believer in the inch per gallon rule? I'd love to have a school 16 Flames but at 2 inches each that's 32 inches of fish right there, and only if they grow to 2 inches and not bigger.

Here's what I'd like to build to, but I think it's overstocking:

8 Flame Tetras
3 Cockatoo Cichlids
6 Cory Cats
3 Otocinclus
1 Brislenose

My next step will be to add the cichlids and see how they do for a couple of weeks before considering anything else.

FM,

I think you are going to be fine with that set up. I am glad to see things are going well for you :nod:

A 30 gallon long still has a decent footprint and the tetras and cories you have chosen are not poo machines.

Also, "schooling" fish not "schooling" is a sign of a peaceful tank.

The only prob I think you may have is with your bristlenose. I only say that because my bnose is a POOP-MACHINE! He def. makes it difficult to keep my nitrates down, esp. when he spends most of his time in a LARGE decoration. It is a montrous task to clean under (I had no idea there was a "way in" in the first place)! It's nice to someone planning everything out before they purchase!

Smaller tetras seem to me to be a good example of when it's ok to break the rule IMO. For example, I have a school of 16 neons which, at 1.5 inches each comes out to 24 inches of fish! Compare the waste produced by the neons to any 24 inch fish, or 2 12inch fish and I think you'll see what I mean. Other than the plec, the rest of the fish you mention aren't particulary messy so you have that going for you as well.

My advice is to go slowly though. Space out the new arrivals so that you can judge the water quality and how well your vacuuming and water changes are keeping up. Mine were added over 2 months.

Plecs are definitely poop-machines! :lol: so take that into account.

Yeah, I know what you guys are saying about the bristlenose. I've already seen some of his work. Actually, when I first got him I was amazed at what he created! That was when the tank had been building algae for a few weeks with no fish in it. There was a lot for him to much on. Since then I've cut back a bit on his diet. I've been keeping him to one algae wafer a night. Poop production seems managable and nitrates are <5 ppm. I need something to fertilize the plants!

Most reactions

Back