Looking For A Good Fish To Feed Insects To

alpha_ralpha

Reaction score
Right now I'm kinda thinking of a puffer but would appreciate any additional suggestions. I've got a 10 gallon tank. I hear the butterfly fish like insects too as do the arowana but they get too big I think. My Mom suggested a gourami but I don't know if they eat insects or not.
Thanks!

well most fish will eat insects as long as they are small enough to get into there mouths, i know all my fish like insects, however my fish are quite predatory.

Butterfly fish would not do well in a ten gallon tank, it is much too small for them. Even though they do not move much, they need a fairly large footprint to be comfortable. Also, they need lots of floating plants to hide in/around.

all fish eat insects ,mosquito larves for example. small gourami`s would be ideal in a tank that size(dwarf or honey}

all fish eat insects ,mosquito larves for example. small gourami`s would be ideal in a tank that size(dwarf or honey}

I've thought of gouramis, especially since I wouldn't have to have filtration (the tank is right next to the bathroom so I can easily change the water in it.) I like the sunset though it's a dwarf, and was thinking maybe a pair of kissing gouramis could live alone in it.

If you think a butterfly fish wouldn't be happy in that then I'll forget about them. I was starting to think that would be a good fish and maybe go with an ancient fish theme in there. I don't need a lot of fish.

I've thought of gouramis, especially since I wouldn't have to have filtration (the tank is right next to the bathroom so I can easily change the water in it.) I like the sunset though it's a dwarf, and was thinking maybe a pair of kissing gouramis could live alone in it.

If you think a butterfly fish wouldn't be happy in that then I'll forget about them. I was starting to think that would be a good fish and maybe go with an ancient fish theme in there. I don't need a lot of fish.

well most fish will eat insects as long as they are small enough to get into there mouths
or indeed if they don't
random078.jpg

most fish love insects, the above pic is of a Devario malabaricus eating an adult locust

Well, I've tried a few things out: the butterfly fish wouldn't go after the freeze dried insects; the gsp ate the mealworms great but I took them back and got some figure 8 puffers since they do better in fresh water long term. I've only had them a couple of hours so they haven't eaten anything besides plants yet. The gsp ate right away so...whatever. I can already see this is too many in my 10 gal tank. by the end of the week I will choose the one that is eating the insects the best etc and return the other two. I am a little frustrated how they aren't going to the top to look for food.

I think Puffers are to be kept alone. Just 1 in a 10 gallon tank. I have read that they only eat live or frozen foods but cannot confirm that as I personally never have owned one. Did you get a filter for the tank and look up how to care for them ?

Well, I've tried a few things out: the butterfly fish wouldn't go after the freeze dried insects; the gsp ate the mealworms great but I took them back and got some figure 8 puffers since they do better in fresh water long term. I've only had them a couple of hours so they haven't eaten anything besides plants yet. The gsp ate right away so...whatever. I can already see this is too many in my 10 gal tank. by the end of the week I will choose the one that is eating the insects the best etc and return the other two. I am a little frustrated how they aren't going to the top to look for food.

don't worry, u've have too give them time to figure out there's food up there :rolleyes: . Usually a new fish wont eat for 2-3 days until they get used to the tank. Fish keeping is really tough thing to master. In time, things will come around.

Try reading on the internet, it can be really helpful. :good:

I have a ten gallon also. I usually cant put the fish I want in there cause it's too small (Oscars, many goldfish, ect). But it's OK if u go a LITTLE off the limit. Under gravel filters are great for ten gallons too.

P.S: srry my ideas are all scattered around lol

Most reactions

Back