Looking For A Few Suggestions ...

ArcticLancer

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys.
So, I recently aquired a 10 Gal tank. I've been doing a lot of research (Actually, I was before I got the tank), but have yet to make any definate decisions.
I come to all of you in search of suggestions to a few basic questions. Mainly, though I've been doing a lot of looking, I still haven't come up with a fish type to get. I should note that I'm most interested in Cichlids and Livebearers, and have had Cobalt Blue Zebras suggested by a friend. However, I still wonder what everyone else thinks would be a good route on those guidelines.
Beyond that, and related, I has hoping to have a few live plants in the tank, and was wondering if I could find any brief suggestions that I could carry over to the correct board.

I guess that's all for now, though I know I haven't exactly asked a small question. Still, thanks to anyone who leaves some info.

I'm afraid that your tank is far too small for the majoity of cichlids (the only exceptions being some shell dwellers really). They're lovely little fish, but maybe not what you're looking for if bright colours are what you're after.

Make sure your tank is cycled and get some mollies first (liverbearers) - If you tank's big enough.
Also, as for plants java moss is good and fills the tank pretty quickly.

Thanks for the input so far. :)

Now, would it actually be impossible (Or perhaps more what we all care about, unsafe or unkind) to house a single Cichlid? In my search, I don't see many I'd opt for growing more than 6 inches, and given the often aggressive temperment, would it actually upset them to have a tank to themself? :/

Otherwise, Mollies had been one of my foremost considerations, but how many would I get for the tank? Shouldn't it max out at about 3 or 4 (Depending on length I guess)?
Also an issue I've had ... How likely would they be to try and mate? I'm not in a great position (University and all) to start housing and raising fry, and I'm sure odds would be against me in managing to get all of one gender. Any ideas on that front?

Thanks again everyone.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Instead of mollys i would get platies as they only grow 2 inches and would allow you to keep more. They come in a variety of colours and are nice fish. If you don't want babies get 4 of the same sex (i personally would get all females as they will get along better males will usually bully each other if they are not in a big enough group) Remember females can store sperm for up to 6 months and will have a batch of fry every month but they will eat most of them if you don't take them out.

If you only get 3 platies you would have room for 3 or 4 dwarf corydoras (habrosus, hastatus or pygmeous) which will give added interest at the bottom of the tank. Corys prefer sand to root around in. If you only get platies you could have 5 in there no problems. Whatever you decide, try to stick to the general guideline of 1 inch of adult fish per gallon of water (this only really applies to fish which grow less than 3 inches e.g a 10 gallon couldn't have a 10 inch oscar in it).

Hope this helps

Emma

Platties are lovely, and the cories would be nice for the bottom.

I would recommend a stone sucker as it stays small and cleans the inside of your tank a treat. And i would go for rummy tetra. Maybe even a betta

Or scrap that idea and look into a puffer. I love the little guys and a 10G tank would be enough i think since it ain't really big enough for a community tank in my opinion.

It's nice you suggested Platties since they were the direction I was looking at this time. I still like Swordtails, but their greater length, and the desire to have a male or two (Thus provoking aggression and breeding ...) seems a less ideal choice than the small, enjoyable Platty.
As for small Catfish and Plecos ... How likely is it I could find this particular form of dwarven creatures? I've browsed the local pet shop a few times and don't recall seeing anything quite like it.
As for Plecos, I know they carry tons, but the size varies, doesn't it? They carry Flying Fox, but I wasn't sure how they'd fit in with the other dwellers.

Extra thanks to Emma for explaining the 'loophole~ish' characteristic of the inch-per gallon rule.

A flying fox will outgrow a 10 gallon and will need more room to manoeuvre. Hard to find a pleco to fit a 10 gallon too, as they are very heavy waste producers, so need more space than the inch/gallon rule might suggest.

Emma's suggestion is excellent, platies are great little fish and dwarf corys would go well.

Other options might be guppies or endlers, a smaller and very colourful guppy relative. Do not mix guppies and endlers unless you have all males or all females, they can interbreed. Guppies and platies are fine however and tend to get on very well.

As regards finding dwarf cories, this could be a problem, but your LFS may be prepared to order some in for you.
You could also mail order them through Trimar, depending on how you feel about the shipping of live fish.

Hi,

An ideal algae eater for a 10 gallon is the otocinclus. Ottos only grow 2 inches long but are social and should be kept in groups of 3 or more. They also do better in mature tanks that have been running for 6 months plus and have algae. Just something to consider in trhe future.

Another alternative is the apple snail so long as its a brig which doesn't eat plants. If you got the giant apple snail (cana) you wouldn't be able to keep live plants with it as they eat them. They also grow as big as a baseball.

Emma

Ah yes guppies, not a clue why i didn't think of them since i have an abundance of em (they're horny little critters) if you live near by i'd be happy to give you some for free, provided you promise to look after them.

london, england btw

Don't get any angelfish or bichirs, they will get stunted because of the tank size. Bottom feeders are nice and if you want some algae-eaters thats fine but plecos produce a bit more wastes you might want regulars algae-eaters though for a start. Mollies are fine too. :)

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I'm now almost certain I'll get a small group of Platies for the tank. Getting a small Apple Snail also seems like something I can really look into (I love snails) for the tank. I'll have to check out my water before I can figure anything certain out, but I still like the idea. A lot.

To O.M.A: Heh ... Thanks for the offer, but neigh. I live a bit too far away to get free guppies (An ocean away), but still, it was nice of you to offer :)
To Emma: Super big thanks for all the great suggestions.

Well, I'll keep everything in mind. I need to wait until after Christmas break to start cycling the tank, so I'll be sure to let everyone know how it turns out. Until then, I'll be around.

Most reactions

Back