Long Hairy Stuff!

smif79

Reaction score
Hi,

i have just noticed a long hairy kinda stuff growing on my plants and airline, what is this and how can i get rid?

Thanks.

With your hands usually. :p It's not an algae most fish will touch and usually is a result of too much nutrient in the water so reduce the amount of food and light the tank gets.

Oooh - I think I will take this piece of advice also...I have a similar problem on some of my plants, I did not realise it could be due to excessive light.

Thanks !!

James1971

Well what color is it, this comes from either Diatoms which are brown or green which is well regular algae

It is very dark brown almost black in my tank. Grows mainly on the leaves of some of the plants.

Doesn't seem to have any detrimental effect on the fish or the water but does not look very nice.

James1971

Than you have diatom, I am not experiance with thatrtype of algae but I am sure some one on here is.

No, diatoms are a different thing to algae though to get technical, I'm not sure hair algae is even a real algae, but it's dark green, almost black sometimes. A picture would confirm it if you could get one.

Most reactions

Back