Local Water Ph

Whitey

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I also discovered my local water PH is quite high, round 8.5. Thus making life easyer for keeping cichlids, whereas my previous 2 tanks were softwater and i was struggling to keep is thriving.

I wish i tested my tap water years ago. :(

:lol: you really don't even have to test London water to realise how disgustingly hard it is (and hard = high pH). Just look at all that limescale in your kettle :sick: thickly caked. And having to use twice as much as shampoo as areas with softer water to get a lather going ;)

But yes - London water is ideal for keeping African Cichlids and really pants for (many) South American ones.

I am in twickenham and our water is around 7.2.... guess must be different water sources. What part of London you in?

PS - even though I get all the same lime scale in my kettle, it does not seem to bother my fish any - and many of them are softwater fsh.

You'll find they survive and they do adjust to a great extent - but I'm sure it no doubts shortens their lifespan.

Ps: I'm in East Sheen and water supplied by Thames Water - it varies anything from 8.5 to 7.4 depending on time of year - or what they feel like!

Here on Long Island, my gH is 0-1 and dkH 0-1...talk about soft water. SH

gH is anything between 17 and 19 here :X mmmm nice ! liquid rock.

I've ridiculously soft and water, pH is 6. No doubt they'll get around to putting something nasty in it to stop the pipes from corroding away...
I'd like to keep mbuna, but.... not with my tap water.

Here in the Minneapolis/St.Paul area it is 7.6 for us, I am keeping soft water fish, well kind of, they like soft water the most, but easilyt adapt to my conditions. But I heard near St. Paul the water is acidic...

Most reactions

Back