Loaches

dudeboy2k6

Reaction score
are loaches ok with any tetra like penguin and emperor and barbs (not tiger) or a siamise fighter or corys

Wrong forum section, loaches come under the Cyprinids etc. section. Depending on the species, yes, although bettas aren't ideally kept with any other fish. Many species of loach are too large for your tank (25g for anyone else), but some of the smaller and more peaceful ones should be OK.

botine loaches are fine (zebra, yoyo, kubotai, etc.) I've had zero problems with yoyos and cories and yoyos are the most aggressive of the 3.

Clowns are fine IF you have a large tank. You need more than 1 and they can be a foot long each.

hillstream loaches probably aren't. It depends on your setup. A setup good for hillstreams isn't going to work for bettas though.

Skunk and tiger loaches are a bit more aggressive and may harass the cories.

Try to get hold of some Botia striata aka zebra loaches. They aren't so common to find in shops but they are a better community fish than yoyos, stay smaller and are an absolute joy to watch. For a species profile - http://www.loaches.com/species-index/botia-striata

Yeah, zebra would probably be best loach choice in most circumstances. It's seems pretty universal that people think they're better community fish than Yoyos (although I don't think yoyos are bad). I had to order my zebras, hopefully they'll be in within another few weeks at the LFS. I'm really looking forward to getting a group of them. It's unfortunate that zebras (botia striata) are so rarely stocked.

Most reactions

Back